Friday, August 29, 2014

THAT STEAMER TRUNK



Actually it's more than just a metal trunk. It was given to me as a "tip" by a Japanese couple on a cruise, it was a tough lesson that their culture is different to the American tipping policies and at the time it may have been somewhat of a letdown. 
But fast forward 24 years and this piece of luggage has been around the block. It served me and others well as a coffee table, seating bench and of course major instrument to move my stuff  around the world. At one point early 1992 I lent it to my friend back in Austria, who just covered up my address with those Brucknerhaus stickers. Not sure where he went with it, but he brought back the suitcase. 

You can see my very first address in Calgary, Canada in one of the images. Only one of a hand full transcontinental moves we managed together. I cannot remember the Malaysia Airlines flight, but they put a seal on it at one point apparently? 

TWA as all other airlines deemed it "HEAVY" and slapped that sticker on. Lauren used this suitcase to move some of her possessions when she left for Toronto. It was shipped "Ground by Greyhound, a very inexpensive alternative to today's surcharge if you want to take it on a flight. And somehow it came back to Calgary
When we moved to France, we filled it up with family stuff and I remember the surcharge we paid....may have exceeded the value of contents. Oh well. I hope you are a shareholder of Air Canada. 


Now, as I am getting ready for another transcontinental move, no question, the suitcase is tagging along. Can't wait to fill it up.


I AM A GLOBAL NOMAD

1994

LUFTHANSA HAS TRANSPORTED IT

I FLEW MALAYSIAN?

ON OUR TRIP TO FRANCE

OUT OF BUSINESS

DOOR DELIVERY BY GREYHOUND

IT'S BEEN A WHILE SINCE THE TRUNK WAS IN LINZ

DINGED UP BUT STILL GOOD



8 comments:

Lauren Jane Marie said...

I still remember marveling at how much I was able to pack in that thing...

melinda said...

are you leaving france???

Nadege said...

Handy trunk carrying goods but also lots of memories and more to come.

H.Peter said...


How did the trunk come back from Toronto, Lauren?

H.Peter said...


I am taking a leave of absence Melinda....

H.Peter said...


many more to come for sure, Nadege

Lauren Jane Marie said...

I brought it back on the plane. Stuffed my other suitcase inside :)

gfe--gluten free easily said...

It definitely looks like it could take some abuse and still fare well. That and transporting "valuable" cargo is worth a lot. ;-)

Shirley