Saturday, August 16, 2014

PARIS PICTURES



So I went to Paris for a couple of nights. With the TGV from Angouleme it took me less than three hours to get into the center of Paris. The ticket prices, if you book in advance and at the right time of day, are less than parking a car in Angouleme for three days. Amazing service that train.

Trying to stay economical, I booked a hotel on Priceline.com, another cool service I have been using during my years on the road. I am 99% sure the prices are better than Booking.com and 100% certain much better than any other travel websites. I "won" a reasonable double digit price on a nice, clean 4 Star hotel int he 9th arrondissment of Paris. Afterwards, just to make sure I did not overbid, I checked Booking and their price was triple digits.
Line 13 of the most efficient subway system in the world took me to the Place de Clichy area direct to the hotel. Set smack dab in a residential area on Rue de Parme, I knew I was going 2 for 2 on this trip so far. 

I had some official paperwork to take care of on day 2, but my goal was for day 3 to walk around a lot and take many images. Well, I succeeded 50%. I walked a lot, but did lock my camera in my suitcase at the train station in the morning, even though I kept reminding myself 5 times not to. Early onset of loosing my mind maybe. 
So all you get to see in this post are some random images from around the neighborhood (AND one of the tower). Which in itself is not that bad. At one point in this neighborhood, on place Adolphe Max, I was able to see Sacre Coeur to one side of the street and the Eiffel tower on the opposite side. 

The neighborhood is full of smaller hotels, stores of all kinds and many Bars and Bistros. While it is August and many stores were closed for their annual holiday, I was able to visit a few unique and interesting stores and have a nice casual, inexpensive dinner right across from the hotel. 
I ran into a man walking about with a mouse inside a trap, I just had to stop him and ask about it. Basically he has mice in his apartment, but won't kill them, just trap and release in the neighborhood park. I told him about a ground floor apartment down the street with two cats in the window who'd be glad to take care of his catch, he was not amused.....

On the last day after locking up my luggage, I took Line 4 all the way to Porte Clignancourt to visit the flea market, but it seems August 15th is a major holiday in France and all was closed. So I made a slow trip back to Centre Pompidou and the surrounding area, from where I walked all the way back to Gare Montparnasse. next time, I won;t lock up my camera. 


ALWAYS WORTH A VISIT

THE HOTEL RIGHT NEXT TO A POLICE STATION

AND WHY YOU SHOULD USE PRICELINE



LOCAL STREET ART

BUSY BARS

PLENTY OF WINE STORES

LOTS OF TAKE OUT PLACES TOO


A HAPPENING TEX MEX RESTAURANT

SACRE COEUR TO THE LEFT

EIFFEL TOWER TO THE RIGHT

MAKES CALGARY LOOK CHEAP

TWO STAR HOTEL FOR 55.00/NIGHT

NICE GUY

HUNGRY CATS

THEY WON'T GET THAT ONE

MANY SIGNS LIKE THAT. 

NOT ALL OF PARIS IS EXPENSIVE



NOT A MICHELIN KIND OF PLACE

BUT THEY SERVE A TASTY LAMB

AND A VERY GOOD MOUSSE AU CHOCOLAT....

GREAT WAY TO DISPLAY HOUSE MADE FROZEN CREATIONS


1 comment:

ellorneo said...

Hello, old friend! Nice shots of Paris!