Thursday, August 28, 2014

OLD BOOKS



As I am going through boxes and cleaning out stuff here in the house, I came across a set of four books that I have been schlepping around since the Vegas days. There were a few attempts to sell the set, but I did put the price so high to ensure no one would seriously consider buying them. 

They are books about art & design in the 1860's and 1870's Europe.  I have no idea if they will ever come in handy in any of my ideas, it's just that I like antiques, maybe not as much as 15 years ago, but when you leave through books like these, the heart rate goes up.

Imagine all parts of arts, furniture, stone, metals and even tools, in those four volumes you'll find a some illustration about an artist from back then and his concept behind it.  
If memory serves me OK, they were bought at an auction some 14 years ago in Las Vegas.  Originally owned by a Boston architect, Louis Weissbein, somehow they made their way to the West side of the US. 
The very ornately designed Alphabets in these books are something really cool to look at. Compared with tribal and other not so cool Tattoos, these would make great ones. If any of the Edlingers read this.....I found an ornate E!



THE BOOKS

UNION HALL 1863

THE ARCHITECT

MAGAZINE FOR PROGRESS IN ALL BRANCHES OF THE ART INDUSTRY

JUST SOME OF THE LISTED ILLUSTRATIONS

VIENNA WORLD FAIR

IMAGINE FINDING THIS CORK SCREW IN AN ANTIQUE STORE....


ORNATE DOOR HANDLE LEFT & OSTRICH EGG POKAL

SEWING TABLE DESIGN

BARREL SPOUTS

TOOLS


CENTER VASE WITH FRUIT BOWLS

I CANT TRANSLATE TRINKHORN

VICTORIAN JEWELRY  DESIGN

CUTLERY

POSEIDON DOOR KNOCKER 

LOCK & HANDLE

CHIMNEY HOOD

CARVER SET

CANDLE STICKS

HOW ABOUT A GUN

TATTOO IDEAS





FOR MY TRIBE

4 comments:

gfe--gluten free easily said...

The alphabet is fabulous! Even after you let them go, you'll have these photos (for a while anyway), so that's something. It's hard to part with very special items like these books, even when it makes sense.

Shirley

H.Peter said...


That set of books....will not be sold.

john said...

Fascinating treasure. I came across your site as I am trying to do some research on a building in Pittsfield MA, designed by Louis Weissbein. Are there any building drawings in the collection? Thanks, John D

H.Peter said...

Bon Jour John,

I am pretty certain that there are no architectural drawings inside these books, since they are a.: from Germany and b.: mostly about artisans, not so much architects.

Sorry