Wednesday, July 16, 2014

VITELLO TONNATO



99% of Italian food looks great and tastes even better. Vitello Tonnato, not so much. The flavor is still there, but it looks like a plate of  Katzendreck . No matter how good your plating skills are. Granted there are some updated versions with seared Ahi Tuna and such, but if you follow the original recipe.......you end up with a great tasting appetizer, but don't serve it to others if you want to keep your Mario Batali image intact.

Regardless, I had some leftover veal from Sunday and there is always a can of Tuna in our pantry.  I love Capers and Anchovies, not to mention that I make great Mayo. In order to stretch the Tuna Schmear, I used Mascarpone instead of sour cream. It's more of an Italian thing and I had nothing else in the fridge.

Put all the ingredients in a food processor ( we don;t have one here, I used a hand thingy), make it all creamy and smooth. Plate the thinly sliced veal over a hill of lettuce, cover generously with the Tuna Mayo and decorate as you wish. Still an off putting color, but very very tasty. Enjoy. 


LOOKS MUCH BETTER DECONSTRUCTED

FRESH LETTUCE

SLICE THE VEAL

PUT ALL THE INGREDIENTS INTO A FOOD PROCESSOR

THIS WORKS

EHM NICE

I TELL YOU. IT TASTES GREAT


3 comments:

Nadege said...

You did a great job and it is how it should look like. This recipe should be called "everything but he kitchen sink". What is your favorite dish ever? (I know it is a hard question particularly for people who have travelled a lot and tasted so many different, amazing food).

H.Peter said...

Not that hard:

WIENER SCHNITZEL WITH PARSLEY POTATOES AND CRANBERRIES.

The go to platter for any solid Austrian. But true, I love many different foods from where ever I went and spent some time at. Including a Double Double at In-N-Out.....

Nadege said...

I really think burgers and pies are the favorites in the US. Hot dogs are way up there too!