Tuesday, July 01, 2014

VINEGAR



The last time I had store bought salad dressing was when Lauren bought some Thousand Island sauce years ago, when we lived in Royal Oak. It has its place for sure, just not on my greens. Growing up it was always oil & vinegar, some salt, onions and garlic. I have omitted the onions and garlic since, but to this day, my favorite dressing is just that. Oil and a good vinegar. 

In June 2012 I posted about the egg man, a delivery guy in rural Austria who brings fresh eggs to your home whenever you want some. What I did not say then, is that he also sells other products he makes on his farm. Cider vinegar being one of them. While we did buy some truly exceptional products here in France, this Austrian vinegar has them beat. 
I suspect it being a childhood memory thing more so than actual quality, but the flavor of his product is amazing. 
Raw,  sour stuff made from fruits on his farm, not from concentrate. And I am pretty sure it's organic. Nothing added. Filled and sold in a 2 liter PET bottle that he recycled from Lidl.

Our favorite french vinegar is from this place.  They won awards and some of their products are available in the US. It's a brilliant vinegar, sweet and smooth. Their website has been under construction since 18 month, the traditional french way of doing business. 

There's also a very local cider vinegar in the kitchen, while it's good, that product does not measure up to the Beaujolais vinegar. And of course we went through tons of Balsamic vinegar over the years, currently I have a bottle from LIDL, which surprised me by being better than most others we bought at six times the price. Talking of price, the egg man sells his vinegar for one Euro/liter.......


THREE DIFFERENT CIDER VINEGARS

THE LOCAL VINEGAR

AVAILABLE IN THE US

MOST ESSIG (CIDER) IN A RECYCLED SODA BOTTLE

BALSAMICO FROM LIDL

2 comments:

Ken Broadhurst said...

I get Portuguese white wine vinegar from Intermarché or SuperU. I don't know why there is no French white wine vinegar (except the tarragon vinegar). To my taste, what's missing from your salad dressing is some Dijon mustard.

H.Peter said...

Now that you say that, I agree Ken, there is no white wine vinegar.

Once in a while I do make french dressing with Moutarde, but mostly I just do the Italian thing.