Saturday, July 26, 2014

LE CHEESE OF THE WEEK


I continue to make my way through France's cheeses, one product at a time. Still alternating between my cheese monger at the Jarnac Market and Auchan, which in my opinion has the best super market cheese selection, I found a very peculiar kind of cheese this time. 
Shaped like a cone, a first it looked like an Arancini, but that did not make sense.
The drawback at Auchan being that there is no one to tell you about your choice, they assume you know what you are up to when buying cheese.

Boulettes  d'Avenses is a cow's milk cheese, heavily flavored with herbs and spices. Which of course I did not find out until I looked the name up at home. Hand shaped into these cones, it's a strong flavor of Tarragon that first hit me. Not a commonly used herb in North America, it's very popular here in France, where Tarragon chicken is maybe the most known dish for this kraut.

The reddish color is from the applied spice rub heavy on Paprika, so all in all you get a very strong cheese with a solid, almost doughy bite to it.  Not going to rush back for more, but for curiosity sake and diversity maybe, it's a good cheese.



CONE SHAPED CHEESE

VERY HERBAL FLAVOR

CLOSE TO THE BELGIAN BORDER

4 comments:

melinda said...

why is it brown? looks like its been fried....doesnt tempt me from your description

H.Peter said...

it's a paprika heavy spice rub that turns the outside reddish like clay tiles.
I doubt it will make the top 5 in the end.
But if you like Tarragon, that's your cheese.

Emm said...

Interesting. That second picture looks like a piece of fried chicken that's been cut, it seems to have such texture. Not sure I'd care for quite that much paprika, but kudos to you for culinary courage.

H.Peter said...

All in the name of taste tasting, Emmm.
Next one will be creamier again.