Monday, July 21, 2014

KNIVES



Nothing worse than dull knives when you chop or prepare food. While we do have some nice and very good knives in the kitchen, I did not bring one of those sharpening stone from Austria with me when I was there last. Next time I must.

We do have a mobile knife sharpening man here in the area, he sets up his grinder seemingly at random from Brocantes to village fetes, but never any set days. I did keep his card from last year though and when I called last week, he told me he'd be in St. Meme this weekend. So close to Jarnac, I could walk there. 

St. Meme les Carrieres used to be a massive limestone producing village and while there are still some stone masons around, the heydays are clearly over. The town re purposed the old quarry as an out door event spot and a great one at that. A very impressive background in the middle of town.
A little trivia for you, New York's statue of liberty was build with limestone from this quarry here in the Charente.

So I picked the most used knives, packed them up and headed over to St. Meme early morning. Francois (the knife man) just finished setting up his wheel and after explaining some issues I needed him to look at he told me not to worry, the knives will be ready to pick up in a couple of hours. Great, head back to the house for an early lunch and get back over there in time before noon.

Yeah, well. Village parties and artisans. There is so much socializing to be done, some drinking and of course eating, he did not even start with my set of knives by noon.....really no big deal, not as if I have an active schedule here.
Back to Jarnac, putzing around the house and this time I did not head back until 4 pm to make sure to give him enough time getting them done properly. And they were. 
He stopped sharpening some scissors to talk to me and explain that normally he would not sharpen knives that well, as he fears some people may not have the skills, but he liked our knives that he just had to go the extra millimeter.  Nice guy. Two Euros a knife.  

It's hard to convey in pictures how good of a job he did, you just have to believe me when I tell you that they are as good as brand new. He even fixed the few chips that I put in the Shun blade, my favorite of all. It was a Christmas gift from I think 5 years ago.
The second most used knife is the little veggie knife on the very left of the image and he really brought it back to life for me as well. 
Now I am good to cut again for a while. 




GOOD WETZSTEIN

NOT SO GOOD


BEFORE THE GRINDING AND SHARPENING

THE QUARRY IN SAINT-MEME-LES-CARRIERES

LE REMOULEUR'S SET UP

VERY GOOD WORKMANSHIP

GREAT SET UP

I USED THE KNIFE TIP AS A SCREW DRIVER, HE FIXED THE BEND


AFTER THE SHARPENING

WHAT AN EDGE

VICTORIA'S FAVORITE

GET TO THE CHOPPA

I AM HAPPY CUTTING

5 comments:

Emm said...

That's a very good price per knife. And it looks as if he does a very good job. I, too, like Sabatier knives.

H.Peter said...



I agree that the price is very good.
And so is the craftsmanship.

Nadege said...


Really good price. I can't remember how much I pay last time I brought my 2 most used knives but it was not $ 2 or 2 Euros either but more.

H.Peter said...

I am still in surprise mode over the sharpness more so than the price.

H.Peter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.