Wednesday, July 23, 2014

HAZELNUT PESTO



This is the third pot of Basil I bought this year. While I did use a lot, the first two did not make it to the extend that this one did. Maybe I was careless or the season was wrong, they did not last.
The third, I took care watering and exposing to enough light and it's been a few weeks that I have eaten a lot of Basil. maybe the supplier of this bunch  did a better job growing it int he first place?
Time to thin that bush out I thought and what better to make with tons of Basil than Pesto. Normally made with Pine nuts and Parmesan, but once many years ago I had pasta in Italy with Hazelnut Pesto and I liked it. Never made it until yesterday. As easy as a good food processor (A Blender works so so) and a quick job at that. 

The hazelnuts are the star of this mixture and to keep them shining I did not use any cheese and even roasted the garlic upfront to take the sting out. 
Hazelnuts are much easier to come by in Europe than in North America, I wonder why that is. Taste? Price? Not an easy find in Canada or the US. We need to change that. 

Anyway. Easy steps, instructions online everywhere, I used this one:

GREAT LUNCH WITH SEVEN INGREDIENTS TOTAL

NOT A MUST TO ROAST THE GARLIC, LESS PUNGENT

PILE IT ALL IN

VOILA, DONE

DILUTE WITH SOME OF THE NOODLE WATER

TOSS THE PASTA

IT'S GF FROM FRANCE. CORN AND RICE, HAD BETTER






9 comments:

Emm said...

I, too, bought a pot of basil from the farmers market, but it's not as lush as yours. The seller told me to thin it by cutting, first, out of the middle.

I did, and it's lasted a month so far, which for me is a record because I can kill potted basil faster than you can turn on your blender.

Nadege said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nadege said...

Sorry I deleted my comments because it was missing a word. I shop in foreign grocery stores a lot (Japanese, Ethiopian…). I find whole hazelnuts in armenian stores. Whole Foods sells hazelnut butter. Your pesto looks delicious! You can also use parsley or cilantro instead of basil.
Have you ever tried chimichurri?

H.Peter said...

I commiserate with you Emmmm, maybe in my next reincarnation, I'll pay attention when my father teaches me about gardening!

H.Peter said...



Bon Jour Nadege, I only ever had chimichurri in Restaurants, but never tried it. But now, you made me curious and will look it up.

What do you find in an Ethiopian grocery store?

Nadege said...

It is always too late in France for me to say "bonjour". In Los Angeles, on Fairfax avenue, South of "The Grove" and the jewish district, there is Little Ethiopia with many ethiopian restaurants and 1 grocery store. You find wine and syrups, nuts and spices, flours (teff flour to make injera, chickpea flour, millet, beans, tea, coffee beans, clothes and hats, DVDs… It if fun. I love ethiopian food. They make wonderful lamb.

A chef I worked with on a TV show makes this excellent chimichurri sauce (I posted the recipe on Facebook last year but I must have removed it. May be you will make her "latin chicken roast with chimichurri".

http://www.alwaysorderdessert.com/2013/01/latin-spice-roast-chicken-with.html

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting this hazelnut variation. I found the roasted garlic favor delicious! ~Vegas Sunshine

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting this hazelnut variation. I found the roasted garlic favor delicious! ~Vegas Sunshine

H.Peter said...



Look who is lurking.....a teacher from Vegas