Saturday, July 12, 2014

FRENCH CARROT SALAD



What makes it french? Nothing really. Just a local product prepared with a french dressing and for good French measure, I added some French Lavender (where did Victoria find edible Lavender??) and French ground walnuts. The Cranberries came from Quebec and those people think they are more French than Canadian.... Still did not pop. But it's Bastille day after tomorrow, so I thought let's call it French. Chapeau, La France. Here is your salad.

See, I think carrots are not really a great vegetable at all. Short of being a prop for one of the greatest animation characters, Bugs Bunny, what else is there to a carrot?  To me they are what Water Melons are to fruit salad. A cheap filler. That's the first thing that pops into my mind when I get them served at a restaurant. The Chef is watching his food cost. Granted they look great at the market (me thinks that's why I bought them today), as well as a side with some food, but really, they are just a lousy root vegetable. Keep using them for beef stock and other boiled to death meats, but no more nothing else with carrots for me . After only using four carrots for this salad experiment, I am now having to eat two euros worth of carrots?? Ugh. 

And in the end, the salad tasted like France smells. 



THEY DO LOOK GREAT AT THE VEGETABLE VENDOR

THEY STILL LOOK GREAT BEFORE THE WORK STARTED

STILL LIFE WITH CARROTS AND KNIFE

THAT'S A LOT OF GREAT FRESH CARROTS FOR TWO BUCKS

SOME THINGS FROM IKEA ARE WORTH THE MONEY. LIKE THIS GRATER

CALIFORNIA RAISINS, QUEBEC CRANBERRIES, FRENCH LAVENDER


FINELY GROUND WALNUTS FROM THIS AREA


YOU'LL NEVER BUY KRAFT SALAD DRESSINGS AGAIN. SO SIMPLE

THE DRESSING WAS THE BEST PART OF THE WHOLE THING

LOOKS GOOD

EHM.....




6 comments:

Nadege said...

Your carrots would taste better with a shallot in your dressing (just kidding). I do love carrots, raw without dressing or cooked, roasted… Actually I love all vegetables except raw onions.
I am in the market to buy a spiralizer. I don't know which one to buy. The best I've seen was at a Las Vegas food show, made by a japanese man but it costs $ 250 and is too big. The others, particularly the one from Williams Sonoma is only $ 50 and looks flimsy. I even contacted OXO asking them to make one. They wrote back that I could use a mandolin which I have (2 of them) but it is not the same as using a spiralizer. I do love my cooking gadgets!

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/paderno-sprializer/

(Good luck tomorrow for the game. Keeping my fingers crossed for a German win. I am saying it not very loud as everybody here in SoCal are rooting for Argentina. They want to keep the cup in South America).

melinda said...

i share your view of carrots, but do like the carrot salads in France....love the grater from Ikea, will have to look for here.....

H.Peter said...

What took you to the food show in Vegas, Nadege? There is a W&S outlet store in Primm if you were to drive back to Cali.

I was just reading about useful (sometimes useless) kitchen tools:

http://www.gefu.com/suche/detail/spiralschneider-spirelli.html

H.Peter said...



I am glad not to be the only one, Melinda

Nadege said...

I laugh out loud because when I checked the website you wrote down, I have that gadget. Yes, it is useless and that is why I need a real spiralizer. I bought the piece of junk at Daiso (japanese $ 1.50 store). I really am into japanese food and I eat a lot of vegetables. I'll let you know when I get one and actually use it.

H.Peter said...

That is funny