Monday, July 14, 2014

DER KALBSROSTBRATEN



In honor of of Germany winning the world cup yesterday, I am writing the post and picture titles in German. Veal roast in English.
Did you see the Germans take home the trophy?  While it was a very close game, if not a small advantage for Argentina, Die Mannschaft prevailed and won. Good for them and good for Germany.
I was publicly rooting for the US, but stats don't lie. I knew Germany would go far. After all they have so many schools that specialize on Fussball. Just like hockey academies in Canada or skiing schools in Austria. 
 Inside though, I was hoping for the Equipe de France to take home the cup, simply because this country needs a boost from mediocracy.  And nothing makes a country rally together like a win at the World Cup. One billion people watched the game last night. Go Deutschland. Angela Merkel's presence will get her plenty of votes come next election. Hollande stands a chance with the Euro 2016 being played in France. I'd love to see a France vs. Germany final. 

Anyway. Auchan had a veal special and I bought the smallest roast they had. And yet, there are leftovers for two more meals at least. When I took the roast home, I marinated the meat with some salt, white pepper and my favorite for anything veal nutmeg and let it sit in the fridge for a day. I don't know why, nutmeg just enhances the flavor. 
As you can see, they French pre dress the roast with a slice of fat to keep it moist, but if you sear the chunk properly on high heat, no worries about drying out. I used some wine and beef stock to create a Jus and added some of those carrots I bought the other day. Gotta eat them sooner or later. Might as well get it behind me.

Put the pot into the preheated oven (150C) and let it all roast away for no more than an hour. Mine was in for 70 minutes and it was saved by the bell, any longer and the meat will dry out quickly.  I made some Turmeric rice (for color really), mashed up the carrots with some Creme fraiche and garlic for sides. 
And some Tomato salad too.  Cook at home. It's better.

DIE MANNSCHAFT MIT DER MUTTI

DER BRATEN

DIE MUSKATNUSS

DAS RINDERFETT

GUT ANBRATEN

ETWAS GEMUESE FUER DEN GESCHMACK

WEIN ZUM ABLOESCHEN

DASS BRUZZELT

DER SUPPENVORRAT

NICHT ZU LANGE IM OFEN LASSEN

GINGE KUERZER

ABER ES SCHMECKT

UND NOCH MEHR FARBE AM TISCH





3 comments:

Nadege said...

Looking good! The roast I meant, but so is the team.

H.Peter said...



Did you understand the german words Nadege?

Nadege said...

I guessed DER KALBSROSTBRATEN meant rolled beef but maybe it is a play on word? (I only took 1 year of german and forgot all of it. I took 2 years of spanish and understand a little but cannot speak it well. I am forgetting a lot of my french but that comes back pretty fast when I am in France). I wish I was fluent in all languages. I took 3 months of Russian before I went there and loved it. It is such a passionate language.