Sunday, July 06, 2014

800 DOGS


I just tried to write this post on an iPad and it did not transmit somehow. Too many images? Oh well. Go back to start. My laptop's display is wonky and after having waited for three weeks to have a new screen installed, it turns out that my Google diagnosis of a damaged motherboard (HP integrated the video card....) was correct and the techie is now stuck with an HP screen.
I told him to look it up on You Tube. But noooo, he is the professional.  Wasted three weeks waiting for the wrong part. 


Anyway. Dogs. A better topic. A huge amount of dog pile will need to be cleared off the race track after today's show, and believe it or not, I saw a guy with a pooper scooper walking around. I hope he was paid well.

Saddest part of the day was an incredibly bad mix of massive downpours and sunshine. Dog owners I spoke with grumbled about the repeat grooming they had to do. The track looked more like a mosh pit than anything else. Westminster it was not.  I have never been to any dog show where they actually show their animals for a prize. So that was a cool experience and I even saw a breed of dogs I have not seen before.
Porcelaine, a french dog that gets his name from a shiny white coat and is bred for hunting wild boars. 
The one I met was fairly docile, but who knows what happens if he catches the scent of a pig.

There were lots of dogs, competing and just visiting double that amount in dog owners who are a breed of their own I say. A very very friendly group of people, who chose the perfect hobby. Full of pride and love, they all were easy to talk to as long it was about their dogs. They also seem to enjoy camping, probably because they get rejected at hotels so many times.....no surprise there if you show up with pair of 180 pound Saint Bernards, dripping wet?
A small vendor exhibit was on site as well, all dog related of course, except, this being Brandy region, there was a Cognac producer selling his goods and I think he was busy..........


Anyway, weather aside I had a great time watching them all. Dogs and people.  No Chihuahuas,but a few Wiener Dogs. Enjoy the pictures.



NO HORSES TODAY, JUST DOGS


THE RE ENTRY STAMP

I WENT AFTER THE FIRST RAINSTORM AROUND 10 AM

LOTS OF CAMPERS

RETIRED. 

SMALL TRAILERS


NO PIGS INSIDE

I WORE FLIP FLOPS....

DIFFERENT JUDGING RINGS





WANT TO JUDGE MY WIENER?


BORED ALREADY


GREAT DANE


MY SISTER HAD ONE LIKE THIS

TWINS, THE OWNER TOLD ME


DISCIPLINED LIKE THE GERMAN FUSSBALL MANNSCHAFT!


THREE MASTIFF AND A WOMAN

CAN YOU IMAGINE GROOMING THEM THREE TIMES....

MY FAVORITE RESCUE DOG

85 KG. 
NOT THE LADY, NADEGE.

CAN'T REMEMBER THE BREED. NOT A RIDGEBACK

GROOMING TENT

PORCELAINE

LAUREN LOOK,  A DOPPELGANGER

LESS EXPENSIVE THAN A B&B



I DID NOT WAIT AROUND TO SEE WHO WON

A GREAT CROWD OF PEOPLE

8 comments:

Nadege said...

Any shows with animals are fun. I think you did the right thing wearing flip-flops in this weather and thank you for mentioning my name by the 85 pounder woman, sorry, dogs.

H.Peter said...


Smooth, Nadege......

Emm said...

I have neighbors who have a couple of pugs, such funny little dogs. Inquisitive, and with that waddling walk.

H.Peter said...



How are you Emm?
Yes, these dogs were a funny couple

melinda said...

my daughter(who lives in Bayonne) has a breed called eurasian....it is a real breed, but a mix of chow, spitz & something else....we dont have them (if we do there aren't many) here in the US.....wonderful breed....very gentle & mid sized

H.Peter said...


Because of my last experience with a dog, I am a lifer for Chihuahuas, Melinda.

I have seen Eurasians, but not interacted with any.

Monica I. said...

The dog you can't remember looks like vizsla (sounds like veej-lah). Hungarian breed, and usually a very nice dog. My uncle had one… crazy little thing scared of her own shadow. Would bark, then pee if you barked back at it. Ahhhh those were the days.

Big dog show in YYC every August long. Hot hot hot.

H.Peter said...



Hello YYC Monica, how is the Stampede?

Indeed it could be a Hungarian, now that I looked at images. So many dogs....