Thursday, May 15, 2014

LUNCH



My friend from Angouleme called me at the beginning of the week if I'd be interested in joining him for lunch this week? While he is a nice man, his track record for food is spotty to be polite, but when he explained that this lunch is being held at a Restaurant trade school and it's their exam day, I signed up obviously. They usually but their best foot forward when it comes to grading the course. 

The school is located in a park like setting on the western outside of Angouleme in St. Yrieix, and if you would not not know of it, you`d never find that place. I drove by the vicinity dozens of times on the way to the city, but never had an idea that there is great lunch to be had. For a very good price. We paid  12.00 Euros for the four course lunch, wine & coffee included.  They have a new regular now....

So under the eagle eyes of teachers and professionals, the students put on a lunch show for about 26 diners today. A really nice setting with polite and attentive service. The food was fine, the Salmon being the standout today, but as I said, twelve bucks....I`ll be back.
We had a couple of chats with a teacher (who was just interested why I take so many pictures) and one restaurant owner who is part of the team who grades the up and coming restaurant staff. It`s not really a full on three year school, but more so where you can get a variety of industry degrees. All paid for by government, by the way. 

So if you happen to be in the area, check it out, well worth it.





THE LYC√ČE ST.JOSEPH L'AMANDIER

RIGHT NEXT TO THIS CHATEAU

THE EVENT CENTER

WHAT A SETTING FOR A TRADE SCHOOL

A GIANT CHERRY TREE

MY LUNCH BUDDY

A GREAT CONCEPT

 IN THE DINING ROOM

ONLY HALF FULL TODAY

THE STUDENTS BEING TRAINED IN RESTAURANT SETTINGS

WITH REAL TASKS


UNDER THE WATCHFUL EYES OF SUPERVISORS

AND INDUSTRY PROFESSIONALS

4 COURSE SET MENU

PLENTY OF DATES AND EVENTS TO CHOOSE FROM

MARINATED SALMON WITH PERNOD FLAVORED SAUCE AND TOAST


LE CHEF WENT TEXAS  WITH HIS PRESENTATION HERE...

NOT OPULENT, BUT ENOUGH TO TEACH HOW TO PLATE THE CHEESE

THE APPLE CRUMBLE WITH RASPBERRY COULIS

6 comments:

Nadege said...

Very good deal! I had the same experience you had but with the same type of school in Hawaii. It was fun too!

Emm said...

I went to a similar in Vermont some years ago. Excellent food and service, very modest price. Plus scenery.

H.Peter said...

Hawaii sounds like another great setting for a school, Nadege.

H.Peter said...


judging by the amount of trade schools in America, we could do a tour de schools one season, what do you think, Emmm?

Ken Broadhurst said...

Did you have the Texas-style steak? Was it any good?

H.Peter said...


Bon Jour Ken, so glad you asked....Yes, I enjoyed the steak. The Chef hit it right with my medium rare request. With "Texas" I was referring to the plating more so than the meat. A bit sloppy? But that's nitpicking.
My lunch buddy really introduced me to a hidden gem here.