Thursday, May 01, 2014

BROCANTE SEASON


You'd think France is picked over, after all those years of American money buying it all in Paris. But in the country side you can still find some amazing treasures this country has to offer.

I am trying to ween myself off the antiques, but every show I visit gets me excited again. Enjoy the pictures:


ALL IN ONE INCLUDING THE CLOCK CASE

ORIGINAL INDUSTRIAL

INLAID SIDE TABLE

NOT SURE WHAT IT IS

STRIPPED PINE

1950'S ORIGINAL WORK SKETCHES

MY FAVORITE - ANTIQUE STONE


THIS WAS A COOL BOOTH







RUSTIC ITEMS

GREAT WEATHERED LEATHER SEATS

WINGS

VINTAGE STORE FIXTURES

LOTS OF THEM

AND BUTCHER BLOCKS

WINDOW SHUTTERS


GARDEN TABLE


 MID CENTURY COMING ON STRONG THESE DAYS



HUGE PILOT LIGHT FROM THE SUEZ CANAL



 A GREAT KITCHEN LAMP


8 comments:

Emm said...

I like that inlaid side table, and the two chairs with it look interesting. Love the nautical things, what fun to use some of that in a house.

H.Peter said...



I am still on the fence about the mid century items, though they sell.

And yes, the nautical booth was amazing.

Emm said...

Mid-century, which we used to call "fifties," is too close in time for my taste, lacks patina. Also, a lot of it isn't awfully good design -- although that could probably be said of older things, as well.

H.Peter said...


I agree, Emmm. And yet I see the manufacturers in China gearing up to make it new already.

puppyfur said...

HPeter, may Inplease ask which "brocante" this was? I nearly had a stroke when I saw all the beauty ( although I'm sure most of it came at a price). I haunt the brocantes every weekend and didn't know about this one. Antique stone is also my favorite!

H.Peter said...


Hello Puppyfur,

you are lucky, it is still on until Sunday. Twice a year at Place des Quinconces in Bordeaux.
While prices seem high to start with, money talks, bullshit walks.

We did buy a few things in the past, but not this time.

puppyfur said...

Thanks, Peter. Missed it this time, but will try again next time. I always find if there's no price on it and I inquire, they hear the accent immediately and throw out a silly price. Asked for the price of two lovely ancient stone lionheads at a recent brocante in Matha, was told an outrageous price, and a lower offer was refused. A very well turned out French lady overheard and took me aside to say, in her experience, this is often a problem for "foreigners" and suggested a couple of places I could go to find proprieters who were more fair. Very kind.
And yet I totally agree on always dickering on the price! :-)

H.Peter said...



Puppyfur, please send a short message to my email re,: Brocantes

theceliachusband@gmail.com