Friday, April 25, 2014

AT THE MUSEUM



While the Louvre and the Hermitage may have more panache when it comes to reputation and fame, the KunsthistorischeMuseum in Vienna is a giant sleeper among European museums maybe? So much of a sleeper actually, that in 2003 an amateur burglar was able to enter the museum via some construction scaffolding and steal an artifact from 1543! The alt cellar was recovered 3 years later and all is good and better protected we hope. 

I saw the advertising for a FabergĂ© collection, which to be honest was an eye opener. I had no idea his work shop only produced 50 of these fine eggs, but also much much more such as fine jewelry,  intricate sculptures, glass ware and many other cool things on display. 

I bought tickets for a year,  it's serious art overload and it's better to revisit the place a few times to let it all sink in. I covered maybe 15% of the art on display and did not even get to check out the Schatzkammer Collection which is on display. I'll have to go back to Vienna for that, such a shame...

Enjoy the pictures:

www.khm.at



THE HOFBURG

NATURHISTORIC MUSEUM ACROSS FROM THE ART MUSEUM

WAITING TO OPEN

NO PICTURES ALLOWED AT THE FABERGÉ EXHIBITION, EXCEPT THIS ONE...

THAT'S FROM THEIR WEBSITE

THIS OBJECT WENT MISSING FOR THREE YEARS.....

LOTS OF ART


SALOME WITH THE HEAD OF JEAN BABTISTE.....BAD WOMAN




COPYING THE BRUEGEL

LOTS OF KIDS IN THE MUSEUM - COOL STUFF

THE BEGINNING OF THE END.......

HE SAID: "IT'S ALL HER FAULT, LET ME STAY...."

ALARM SYSTEM


A MASSIVE TRIPTYCH

ENDLESS SPACES

AMSTERDAM FISH MARKET CA. 1649. SOME CREATURES ARE EXTINCT NOW

THE DOME

A VERY IMPERIAL COFFEE SHOP

THE STAIRCASE

MORE KIDS LEARNING ABOUT ART BY PAINTING SOME

9 comments:

Nadege said...

I didn't visit this museum when I was in Vienna. I did see the Faberge exhibition in Paris many years ago in a "hotel particulier". Amazing work!
It took me 10 years to become familiar with the Louvre, going once a month. L'Ermitage was amazing though. I was really impressed by the beauty of the building but also the art. And Catherine's palace was unbelievably gorgeous. I would love to spend more time in Austria and Russia. In the mean time, thank God for the internet!

Nadege said...

Hermitage that is.

H.Peter said...


I am obviously partial to Vienna, but yes, the Hermitage is an amazing place. maybe also because of it's location in a country that was until couple of decades hard to access.

melinda said...

the museum where I worked (back in the days before children) had 5 of the Faberge eggs and they were a big draw ...the Virginia Museum, Richmond, VA

Emm said...

I saw the Faberge eggs years ago in then-Leningrad. Extraordinarily intricate and detailed, so beautiful. The one with the tiny gold train for, I think, the Trans-Siberian railroad, amazing.

H.Peter said...

Five, Melinda? That's huge. Considering there are only 50 made and 43 in known existence.

H.Peter said...

Hi Emmmm, that same egg was on display in Vienna. Cool for sure.

Leningrad was fun. I went a few times with the ships

melinda said...

yes Peter, it was the largest collection of Faberge eggs outside of Russia

Nadege said...

Now I remember. The Faberge expo I so in Paris cam mostly from the personal collection of Malcolm Forbes. I was as impressed by the hotel particulier as by the collection. I was there on a week day and there weren't many people inside. More security guards than visitors.