Sunday, March 02, 2014

TO THE BEACH



When I opened the shutters this morning, there was not a cloud in sight anywhere. Since Sundays in Jarnac are pretty much a quiet affair, I decided to take advantage and drive to Royan for a walk on the beach. 
It's a bit over an hour if you don't stop along the way to take pictures.... but by the time I was on the outskirts of Royan, clouds were moving in from the Atlantic. With high winds.

I still wanted to hit the beach, but decided to visit their weekly market first, since I was sure that it would rain in an hour or so. Royan is a larger town, 18000, so the market is bigger, much bigger than ours here. The Hall is famous all over France for it's conch shell like mid century architecture. Very different. Mostly you'll find just more of everything, more bakers, butchers and fish vendors,  but there are some actual producers of things that have tiny stalls outside. So that's different. And there were lots of flowers. The herb vendor was the busiest it seems, or he did not bring a lot of product.

Enjoy the pictures, only three from the beach. It's about 12 kilometers outside of Royan, and that stretch is called the Cote Sauvage. Covered by a large forest, you don't see the beach from the road, until you walk through the trees for about 300 meters. 
It was low tide, I tried to show the "cliff" where you could see how high the tide is this month. The beach is well known (feared) by it's under tow and there are warning signs everywhere. No life guards.



8 AM

10 AM

AN OLD WIND MILL RUIN ALONG THE WAY

GOOD FOR THEM

FRENCH MID CENTURY DESIGN

COOL CEILING SHAPES ON THE INSIDE

ALL THE CHEESE

GUESS WHAT'S FOR LUNCH IN ROYAN.....CHICKEN

OIL & VINEGAR

FRESH HERBS

COLORS


THE WALK TO THE BEACH

HIGH TIDE COMES ALL THE WAY TO THE TREES

NO RAIN, BUT VERY VERY WINDY

5 comments:

Nadege said...

Beautiful and wild. I don't know this part of the Atlantic coast but pretty much everything in between.

H.Peter said...


Are you getting ready for tonight's party, Nadege?

keenast said...

Thanks for taking us on this tour - great pictures. One does get the feeling of being there. It's a beautiful place. I often wonder what makes one chose a place to live, there must be some reasons other than chance. Unfinished business maybe we know nothing about ;)

H.Peter said...


not as simple as that Karl, but at the moment there is Gravity tugging again.....
I glaub ana vo meine Vorfahrn woar a Wanderer

Nadege said...

Sorry, I didn't see your question until today (monday evening). I watched the award show and it was long and a tad boring but I liked it. It is my business after all and I know so many people (cast and crew) after so many years in the biz that it is almost a duty to watch.