Sunday, March 23, 2014

GUANGZHOU



This was only my second visit to that city in the south of China. I am a Shanghai fan and prefer to find smaller suppliers in the north of China. But me starts to think I have been unfair in my assumed dislike of Guangzhou after my first visit. It was during the world's largest commodities fair a few years ago and of course everything was a whirl. Plus too many people visit that city for the exhibition which makes Las Vegas weekend room rates seem a bargain......I just did not have a good time back then.

This trip was a bit more focused on a single product group, which gave me some time to see the city as well, not just the hotel room and a trade fair. Being not familiar with Guangzhou, I focused my search for a room online not just on price but also on location, preferably close to a METRO Station. This would allow me to zip around China's third largest city and avoid the traffic. Which always tests my patience......

Definitely not in the central business district, more in a real living neighborhood I found a place on top of a station and the hotel elevator went direct from the 41st floor (my room) all the way down to the Metro.  Cool stuff. Time saved big time.

And every morning when I looked out the window I had this view of a neighborhood in the neighborhood. While the buildings around the hotel and the square were all high rise and of recent age, the block behind main street seemed old and even more residential. 
So one afternoon I made the trek across 8 lanes of traffic to see it up close. And it was not disappointing. Imagine a village. Where everything is available to enjoy daily life without leaving the village. Just set inside a 12 Million people city. I took some images, but could have taken many more. I have an iPad now, Victoria left me hers and while I enjoy it, I still feel that my pictures are not as good as they could be. Isabella needs to travel with me.

Enjoy the pictures


THE VIEW FROM MY ROOM

CLOSE UP

I NEED ISABELLA TO TAG ALONG FOR BETTER PICTURES

 RISKY STREET FOOD. BUT VERY VERY GOOD CALAMARI

SHOE REPAIR

THE ORIGINAL FOOD TRUCK

DENTIST OFFICE

HAIR DRESSER NEXT TO DENTIST

NAP TIME

SCHOOL'S OUT


7/11 - 24/7

PEACE, HE YELLED

TRADITIONAL CHINESE MEDICINE

SNAKE OIL

APPLIANCE REPAIR SHOP

AFTER SCHOOL CARE

THEY COOK IN THAT BIG POT

WATCH REPAIR (I THINK)

TAKING A BREAK

TAILOR




JEWELLERY MAKER

8 comments:

Nadege said...

I was there many, many years ago. I had never seen so many people on bicycles. I also ate my first and last frog legs there.

H.Peter said...


yes, I have seen and eaten some weird food on this trip, Nadege.

Kathy Volkmar said...

Great pictures! Food reminds me of seeing aquariums filled with all swimming things, including large beetles, to be cooked for dinner. I love the pictures with the people at work or resting!

melinda said...

enjoyed the pictures as I will never get there......that huge cooking pot is impressive! wonder what they cook in that.

H.Peter said...


I think they cook all sorts of long time braisings? I recall eating at a place a few years back where the waiter went outside to get one of my dishes

H.Peter said...


yes, kathy, it had a real village feel to it.

Emm said...

Eight lanes of traffic? Mind officially blown. First time I went to China, and to Guangzhou (as it's now spelled) they were still wearing Mao jackets. :-) Time does fly.

H.Peter said...


Good morning Emmm,
I have been visiting China since 2000 and what baffles me the most, is the speed of development.

Giant leaps instead of baby steps. Just nuts.