Sunday, February 09, 2014

PORK & BEANS




When I travel, my goal is to always buy something for the kitchen. Spices mostly. Last trip to China, I bought some Szechuan peppers at a market and to this day they are so pungent, when I open the jar I can smell the shop I found them at.

It does not take a lot of these peppers to spice up any dish, maybe six or so to make a pound of beans pop. I also added some Garlic, Ginger and tiny bit of another chili pepper paste and let them fry on high heat for about 6 minutes. It would be better done in a Wok, but we have don't have one.
Though the pork is good, it's the beans that shine on this plate. Still a bit crunchy with all the flavors of a restaurant in Chengdu.
Victoria started making beans this way a while back. We all like them.




SPICY GREEN BEANS & PORK TENDERLOIN

DRIED SZECHUAN PEPPERS


NO IDEA WHAT IT SAYS

OH SO SPICY

FLAVOR THE OIL BEFORE ADDING THE BEANS

PORK, FRIED IN BUTTER

TAKES LESS THAN 10 MINUTES ON HIGH HEAT

2 comments:

melinda said...

I needed Szechuan peppercorns for a recipe a while back & looked everywhere here and couldnt find......I guess you could mail order from somewhere, but I thought I could surely find at someplace like a Fresh Market but no dice

H.Peter said...


Yes, I can confirm that the local french markets are A1 for most things local, but anything international is a challenge.