Friday, February 14, 2014

O'TACOS


You had to be there and listen to the whole dialogue during my recent dining experience in France. It's very hard for me to recount what went down when I found a new "Taco" joint in Angouleme. In retrospect, incredibly funny. But at the moment of utter let down, it was not so funny. At all.

As you can see in the pictures, the sign clearly screams Tacos, which in Victoria's words made my heart skip a beat, since after being here for two years plus is one of the foods I crave. Especially when I read Blog posts about innovative new places in California. http://www.kevineats.com/

The place is brand new and just as barren as you'd expect a fast food place in France to be. That 1970's charm they proudly use to this day. So the conversation starts with me asking for the available fillings for my Tacos which are written on a blackboard by the order counter. Beef, Chicken, Merguez (innovative!), Cordon Bleu and Nuggets. Huh? And here I go with my Austrian french inquiring about those last two toppings and Monsieur, who I now realize is NOT from Mexico, states they are popular toppings in France. Fine with me. The french are true gourmets. OK I say I take Chicken and Merguez. Stay close to the traditional.
How many Tacos do I get I ask. One is the answer. What do you mean one? Ah, one, c'est tout. Not like three each or some? The price for my two meat combo is 6.50, I'd like to have more than one Taco. Can you please show me the shell? What shell he says to me. The Taco shell please. 

He finally understands my request and pulls out this giant Tortilla wrap and says that's the Taco shell. Ah, C'est un wrap I tell him. Non Monsieur, c'est un Taco.  Quoi? C'est pas un Taco, c'est un wrap. I got flustered and threw in a English words by now and bloody heck, this guy spoke fluent English. 
It's a Taco Lyonnais, not a Taco from Mexico. Oh? Lyon, France or Lyon, Mexico. I heard of Paul Bocuse from Lyon, but tacos from Lyon, Impossible. By now he clearly gets annoyed with me, but to his credit remained calm and polite and goes on explaining about the French Tacos which until I Googled, did not believe to exist. But they do. 
We had another quarrel about the right sauce for my meal, since my choices were Mayo, Harissa, Curry or Sauce Royal. No salsa? No Cilantro flavored something? Nope. I went for the Mayo and just to egg the guy on some more I inquired about the pedigree, if it was produced in Belgium or Holland.  I am just happy they did not throw me out by now.

So what I ended up getting was a wrap stuffed with Curry Chicken, some Merguez sausages and Fries with Mayo. Tasty stuff, just not the Taco I hoped for. Absolute hands down the best fries in Angouleme, fait maison and deep fried to perfection. All in all a good meal. From Lyon.


TACOS!!???

CORDON BLEU AND NUGGETS IN TACOS? RED FLAG MAYBE?

BUT THIS IS A WRAP? NO. IT'S A TACO LYONNAIS

IN MY IMAGINATION THEY PASSED FOR MEXICANS 

THE BEST FRIES IN ANGOULEME

CHICKEN IN CURRY SAUCE.......PAS TROP MEXICAIN

I PROMISED TO POST PICTURES ON THEIR FB PAGE, BUT LINK DOES NOT WORK

2 comments:

Nadege said...

Frustrating! You can find corn (or at least flour) tortillas in super markets in the international section in France, so you can make your own quesadillas, burritos or tacos and you should grow your own fresh cilantro. Ask Victoria to bring back seeds from the States, and a bunch of fresh corn tortillas that you will freeze.

H.Peter said...


Though frustrating, it was actually more comical Nadege. An Austrian and a guy from Northern Africa in France discussing Mexican food.

But yes, I am overdue for a massive road trip to the US. BBQ, Tacos, Burgers. all that good stuff.