Saturday, February 08, 2014

KID'S STUFF


I think there are some things kids like to do no matter in which generation they grow up.
Putting pennies on the railway track  to be flattened by a train is one of those things. 
I did it in rural Austria with my father, who told me he did the same experiment when he was a kid during the war  and a while back Isabella bugged me about going to the train station to flatten some pennies. 

I don't think it was ever brought it up, so I believe she may have read some urban myths about flying pennies cutting off you head or equally horrifying stories that never happened. we had a conversation going there and just to be on the safe side, we decided to stand behind the actual spot, not exactly by it and avoid going home with our heads in our hands....While I can see that at high speed in a turn a train might make a penny fly, not a small commuter train when it pulls out of a country station at 30 clicks.

So after checking the schedule for trains to and from Angouleme we went down to the road crossing at the end of town, laid some coins on the track and waited for the train to drive over them. Even I was excited. Something about boys in men? It was allover in less than a few minutes, but clearly we had a success. The coins were flattened and the track had some marks. Isabella took some great pictures and we went back home. 
Another one off the list. If you have a railway close by, take your kids there with some coins, they will love it.







BEFORE

GRAND CENTRAL STATION IN JARNAC

THE ANGOULEME TO ROYAN TRAIN

DID NOT FLY TOO FAR

CLOSE UP

FOR COMPARISON

COOL MARKS ON THE TRACKS

No comments: