Tuesday, December 03, 2013

MAMA SHELTER



The first leg of my current road trip brought me to Bordeaux for an early flight to Amsterdam. Since it's a 90 minute rush job from door Jarnac to gate Bordeaux, I decided to come the evening before the flight and start my trip well rested from here.

When I looked for a suitable hotel, Mama Shelter popped up, a new place in town and a newish hotel group from France. Though downtown and not by the airport, I read about it when they opened in Paris a while back,. A new project by Serge Trigano who' family is very well known in the french hospitality industry going back to the 1960's. I actually worked for that company for a couple of years in the mid 1980's.
He hired a well known french designer, Philippe Starck to bring this new hotel concept to reality.
Starck is maybe best known for some really "out there" designs, such as the original Cafe Costes in Paris, or that Alien looking lemon press. 

I like the hotel. Not everybody will. The rooms are very efficiently designed but small.  Pink walls do take some getting used to.  But then they offer Apple TV, which diverts my attention from that pink.......Not sure what to make of the masks laying around, I can't even take one with me for Isabella, they charge you 13.00 for one. So I took a picture of one and sent to the girls.

The restaurant/lounge/bar area is what makes this place though. Aside of the hotel guests, loads of neighborhood locals seem to be attracted to this place for drinks and dinner. Not something you'd see at the Hilton in St. Louis. 
Both, the Burrata and my Pizza were very good, another bonus for a hotel restaurant. None of that generic SYSCO supplied Pasta Alfredo,  iceberg lettuce menu.

The staff all spoke english and actually seemed eager to do so. While I am capable of ordering a Pizza in French, the very polite waiter helped me along without being a jerk that he could have been. 

So if you visit Bordeaux, check it out. Even if you just have time for drinks. 


MAMA

THE ROOM

APPLE TV & PINK WALLS

FUNCTIONAL

THE RESTAURANT AREA

PING PONG IN THE BASEMENT

OPEN KITCHEN CONCEPT

BURRATA 

1984 PARIS ICON


"I AM NOT YOUR FATHER"

No comments: