Monday, September 02, 2013

THE SUMMER OF TWENTYTHIRTEEN



All good things come to an end. This summer came and went almost too fast. Tomorrow school starts and we are back to our daily routines. Time flies when you have fun.
The last couple of month were great, full of sunshine and loads of activities. Beach time, river swimming, road trips, visitors from far and near, good food and great times.

I had to visit Austria a couple of times this summer and met up with quite a few people I have not seen in years. It's great to see that everyone is doing fine. On my last visit we went to the city where I was born.  We even found the very first house I lived in. While it used to be a grocery store 49 years ago, it's now a Tattoo shop.

Here in Jarnac we did have some rain at the beginning of summer, but all in all temperatures were summery and there was plenty of downtime at the river and the beach. Isabella is a water fan and for the first time she jumped off the bridge into the Charente.  Growing up fast that girl. 


Now back at it, work and all. 








AT THE BEACH IN ROYAN


IN THE RIVER

 AT THE LAKE IN AUSTRIA

  LOTS OF BBQ

THE BEST WAY TO EAT MEAT

SUMMER CRUMBLE

ALLEY LUNCH!

PLENTY OF SALADS

SEAFOOD


HOW I WILL GET MY SIX PACK AFTER EATING TOO MUCH THIS SUMMER


 OUR HOME IN THE SUN

 A HOT SUMMER DAY IN JARNAC


ISABELLA HAVING SOME FUN WITH A PARKING GENIUS


MY CURRENT PROJECT

VICTORIA IS BACK AT IT WITH NEW RECIPES



14 comments:

Jennifer F said...

Looks like you had a busy summer too! Love the photo of the lake in Austria - looks so inviting!! Best of luck for La Rentree!!

H.Peter said...


Thank you Jennifer.
Kudos on your decision for expat life!

keenast said...

Peter, which lake is that? I know the area but am not familiar with that view.

H.Peter said...


It's the Traunsee. Taken from the Promenade in Gmunden, with Schloss Ort in the (blurry) distance.

keenast said...

Thank you, I was thinking it could be it. Funny, I spent many years not so far away, at the Attersee ;) There's really only 2 things I miss from there, the lakes and the (Viennese) coffee houses ;) From there we moved to France (!) and 2 years later on to the States !

H.Peter said...


The family I had lunch with, live in Attnang-Puchheim and they chose Altmunster for dinner.

Attersee was the other option. Re.: Coffee shops, while the Gemutlicheit is not available in the US, I feel that the quality of coffee is now at par with Europe if not better over there.

here:

http://theceliachusband.blogspot.fr/2013/04/traxlmayr.html

Nadege said...

Lovely photos! Ttwo laugh out loud! (on one of the shows I work on, I have to use shading to create 6 pack abs. The boys always request it and they love it).
As you know, I love Austria. I have to find an Austrian blogger who takes great pictures of the countryside. Do you know of any?
I don't drink coffee so I have no idea which country has the best but I hear very often that australian coffee houses are doing a wonderful job roasting beans and making amazing cuppas!
I would love to taste Victoria's pastries. They sure look very good in photos!

keenast said...

I'd say the quality got a bit better over time - at least in Southern California - but not too much in general. There are some, very few, places that make excellent coffee. The 'Kaffeehaus' as meeting place/hangout/ extended living room does not exist though. Everything's hurried and one is not expected to spend time. Funny enough Starbucks tries the hardest, but then their places are way to generic and their coffee is mediocre and they still are not able to make a halfway decent simple single espresso.
Talking about coffee quality, Japan is the place to be. I've never seen so much dedication trying to make it perfect, cup for cup. Very enjoyable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azrzwm9Z2sA

H.Peter said...


Hi Nadege,

the pastries are as good as regular ones would be.
Otherwise I would not eat them. But yes, maybe I stop in sometime for a spray paint job on my belly!

H.Peter said...


Cool videos Karl. No place is perfect I guess.

Did you ever visit Bierbeisl in your town?

keenast said...

The one in Beverly. Well, not yet. It's been on the list for quite a while ;) Thing is we're a bit handicapped - my wife and my son have a serious gluten allergy plus our son is strictly vegetarian too!

H.Peter said...


Well. No Kaesekrainer for your son.

Though no doubt you have access to top notch GF bread in SoCal, if you are headed to Las Vegas, one of Victoria's licensees is there.

http://www.beaumondebakery.com/

keenast said...

Right, no sausages or other Schmankerl ;)

Vegas, I know there's this bakery but I'm rarely there, maybe for work every now and then but there's usually no time left for anything. There is some gluten free bread to find, but top notch....? Trader's carry a line of GF bread but with quite a lot of funky ingredients.

One of the beast things is done by a small Korean Baskery, Bliss, some kind of Weckerl made mostly out of tapioca. Excellent when heated in the oven ;)

I bake cakes every now and then, I do the classic Gugelhupf and not a bad version of a 'Besoffener Kapuziner' - BUT there's no Most to be found in the US of A and where I come (came) from Most is a major part of the recipe. The various ciders one can get are not the same unfortunately - so I concoct a different sauce every time. Even tried once with Sake! My family loved it, me not so much though ;)

H.Peter said...

MOST! How do you explain that to the locals there.....Fallobst.

Besoffener Kapuziner, another one. Such a classic.

Aber wie gesagt, dass naechste Mal in Vegas. Beau Monde. Italian Flatbread, usw, usw.