Saturday, September 21, 2013

LA BRASSERIE BORDELAISE


This lunch has been in the making for a while. On our last trip to Bordeaux Victoria chose Mexican food( a fairly safe bet for Celiacs), and this weekend I finally was able to pick this Brasserie for lunch. It's been in my list for a good six month now.
When you walk by the place with the red awnings and all the wines along the walls, it's a very inviting look. And their reviews seem very good as well.

Though I emailed them about a gluten free meal and they acknowledged the possibility of it, the staff was a bit shaky when I brought it up during ordering. "Normally it should be", as an answer did not sound as confident as one would want them to be, so Victoria opted out of a full meal and was happy to eat half my fries. 
Gluten issues aside, La Brasserie Bordelaise is a great place to eat. Not only was my steak the best so far inside France and it was served medium rare as ordered. Only on my way to the restroom did I see the explanation for a good piece of beef. They age their beef in house to ensure good quality. 
While waiting for the food, we watched some of the other diners' plates go by and there were some great looking dishes to be had. 
One of the tables in my view had a Foie Gras Bocal appetizer which I would have ordered to share, but without any bread, no dice. Not sure how they would react to a "bring your own bread" request, but it's an option. My direct dining neighbor at the bar chopped away at a giant Andouillette aptly named "Gargantua".  I should have taken a picture. 
Desserts were fine, a nice choice of sorbets, fresh fruits and of course Creme Brulee. 

Being in Bordeaux, no wine selection at a restaurant should be a surprise, but this place offers 400 different wines, many by the glass. Bottles, racks, cases all displayed throughout the restaurant, with one section of wine under glass on the floor. Great concept. When in Bordeaux, check it out. Especially if you enjoy wines.





RUE ST. REMI

LOOKS SMALL

WE HAD LUNCH AT THE BAR

A FEW COMMUNAL TABLES IN THE FRONT

OBVIOUSLY THE CRUDITES ARE GLUTEN FREE

WINES, CHAMPAGNES, COGNACS AND ARMANACS

ISABELLA AT THE BAR

SO FAR, MY BEST STEAK IN FRANCE

YOUR OWN DINING CAVE

THE PLACES JUST GOES ON AND ON


TAPENADE 

LUNCH SIZE STEAK (OR BREAKFAST SIZE IN COLORADO)

HOUSE MADE MAYO FOR THE VERY GOOD FRIES

THE OBVIOUS CHOICE FOR CELIACS, CREME BRULEE

THE CONDIMENTS

BRING YOUR OWN (GF) BREAD. THE FOIE GRAS LOOKS AMAZING

2 comments:

gfe--gluten free easily said...

Looks like a busy and fun place! As I said on FB, I love anything that has "Brasserie" in the title. Those have always been the most fun dining/drinking spots I've been to (and I'm talking here in the U.S. as I have not been to Europe yet). I could go for that steak and that crème brulee and if the fries are gf, that's a big plus. Hopefully, they will learn more so they can offer some safe gf options in the future.

Shirley

H.Peter said...



I am sure with time even France will catch up, Shirley.

After all they are wedged between Spain and Italy, both countries are miles ahead in terms of gluten free.