Friday, August 23, 2013

MOULES FRITES


Second meatless Friday in a row. I feel so catholic.

With a little bit of training from last Friday  I made mussels again today. This time with fresh french fries. 
How is it possible that In-N-Out Burger can serve such excellent, fresh french fries for a buck and change, but 98% of all full service restaurants serve crappy frozen ones? Things like this baffle me to no end.

Anyway. To mix it up, I made more of a broth than a cream sauce today, which in Victoria's view made it an 8 out of 10 on her perfection scale....will she ever give me a straight ten?? Ever? Last week the bacon was not cut right. What will it be next week!
It's more of a Thai slant with coconut milk, a splash of fish sauce, fresh lime juice, garlic and a couple of spicy chilies. Flavored with almost no salt, just lots of Cilantro. 

If you can get fresh mussels, this is a good recipe. The Lillet, I ended up not putting any in the broth, but I drank a couple of glasses. It starts to grow on me. 




 LILLET (APERO), COCONUT, LIME, CHILI PEPPERS, GARLIC, FISH SAUCE & CILANTRO

ROAST GARLIC AND CHILI IN SOME BUTTER

NOW WITH FRIES

POUR  SOME COCONUT MILK ,  STEAM UP WITH CLOSED LID FOR A FEW MINUTES, ADD LOTS OF CILANTRO

DONE!

12 comments:

Nadege said...

What a great meal! I love coconut meal! I'll have to Google Lillet as I am not sure what it is, except than an aperitif!

H.Peter said...


Lillet is a regional Apero from the greater Bordeaux Region.
Ricard bought the company and now is pushing hard for it to make it world wide.

if you like Coconut, these Mussels are the best

keenast said...

Wow, everything looks so good. That's easy a 9/10 ;) I didn't know that one could find Cilantro over there. When did that happen? Where I live it's hard to get parsley - I'll have to drive to Whole Foods to get some.

H.Peter said...

I'll take your 9! thank you.

Coriander they call that herb over here

Jennifer F said...

Have to try your recipe - you make it look too easy. That coconut broth sauce sounds divine!!

H.Peter said...


Very easy, Jennifer.
Will you make fries at home?

Sheila said...

Beautiful frites too. Ever try
pommes soufflees? Requires very
thinly sliced pommes though.

puppyfur said...

Does Victoria read your blog, and is she ever contrite? Sorry, but a reader might find her difficult sometimes. I'm sure she's lovely, but it's difficult to hear she didn't like the way the bacon was cut.

H.Peter said...


Hi Sheila,

never tried Pommes Souflees, but I do have a recipe in one of the books I use.

Might try it.

H.Peter said...



Made me laugh puppyfur. You'll have to stop by and meet Victoria.

Ken Broadhurst said...

Thanks for the idea of doing moules in coconut milk. Sounds delicious. We grow coriandre but we don't have any right now. Sometimes we can find it at SuperU.

H.Peter said...


You are welcome Ken. You will enjoy the flavors. So different from the usual way of preparing hem