Monday, August 05, 2013

DER GUGELHUPF




If the Wiener Schnitzel would be a cake, it would be called Gugelhupf. That's how authentically Austrian this cake is. And as with anything authentic, every bakery, restaurant, hotel and Hausfrau in Austria will offer this Bundt cake to a guest or visitor. From their own favorite, many times secret recipe.

Personally I have memories from way back in early childhood of this cake being made by my mother on weekends. And the way my father would enjoy it most.  With a cup of coffee. Half eaten, half dipped into the coffee first. As a kid I would mirror his behavior with my hot cocoa and nowadays I love eating this cake with coffee, half dipped as well. 

I went to school in Bad Ischl, a famous resort town and there the story being told about the Gugelhupf is that our Emperor Franz Jospeh had a lover in that town. And that lady made him one cake every day when he was there to visit. Just goes to show that you can hook anyone with a good cake.....even the Emperor. Keep that in mind ladies. "Liebe geht durch den Magen", we say in German. (google it)
There are some theories about it's origins, but in the end it's an Austrian cake. The French may want to claim some fame, but fuhgeddaboudit. We don't tell everybody that your Croissant is from Vienna.....this Blogger writes some more about the history of cakes: http://bakingwithmarianne.blogspot.fr/2013/07/the-story-behind-gugelhupf-and.html


Anyway. Victoria has made this cake in her bakery before, but mostly in loaf form And by my continued nagging, she started to make it again. In a proper Gugelhupf shape. Icing sugar and all,
GLUTEN FREE to boot. As usual, she is talking about "perfecting" it, but listen to the Austrian here, it's fantastic already. 









MY FAVORITE WAY TO EAT THE CAKE. WITH A DOUBLE ESPRESSO

9 comments:

Nadege said...

OMG that cake! I don't care if it is gluten free or not, I want a piece now.
You might find this post interesting about galettes and croissants.
http://avagabonde.blogspot.com/2013/01/our-galette-des-rois-and-more.html

H.Peter said...

Thank you for the link Nadege.

The cake is almost gone, we had some visitors, all regulars, they liked it.

keenast said...

Now, that's all fine and dandy BUT a recipe wouldn't have hurt here :) And with no secret ingredients too. The infamous GF flower mix isn't really available pretty much anywhere!

H.Peter said...


I agree Keenast. Sadly I am not privy to the actual baking process, since that is Victoria's department.
All I do is eat and talk....

keenast said...

Victoria would be very welcome here - can't you invite her in :)

H.Peter said...


Victoria is very shy.
But she did invite you to stay with us for some good GF food.....

keenast said...

;)




Angela said...

I NEED the recipes - not just want!!!!! This looks as authentic as it gets! I grew up in Austria until I was 19 years old, then came to the USA....so you see my need?????

H.Peter said...


Bon Jour Angela,

Victoria made three of these inside of seven days to perfect the recipe.

And perfecting she did. I am not a Celiac, just eating gluten free inside the house.
There is NO DIFFERENCE in texture, flavor to a real Gugelhupf.

Challenge being, that I am not allowed inside the Backstube when all this is going on. My only gig is to eat and promote.....