Sunday, July 21, 2013

TABAK TRAFIK (213)


While I have decided long time ago to go on the road and see the world, my sister had a different plan for her life. 30 years ago, she took over the local smoke shop in our home village and has been at it ever since. Three decades, it floored me when she told me how long it's been. 

Maybe 20m2 in size with some extra storage, her business is not only selling cigarettes but every square inch is designed to produce revenue. From the daily papers, weekly magazines, the very important Lottery tickets, souvenirs and postcards for tourists to many other things you may or may not need. 

While smoking overall has been in retreat all over the world, Austria is holding steady at #22 of global tobacco consumption. In Western Europe only the Spaniards and the Swiss (really?) smoke more per capita than Austrians. Safe to say my sister's job is recession proof until her retirement. 


MY SISTER'S SHOP


IN A PRIME LOCATION, RIGHT AT THE END OF THE SKI HILL

 SMOKE!

CIGARETTES, NEWSPAPERS, 

KID'S GAMES, BOOKS

SOUVENIRS

NOT CHEAP

LOTTO

POST CARDS

CAN I HAVE YOUR NUMBER?

HOW ABOUT A DRINK WHILE YOU HIKE....

2 comments:

Nadege said...

That is a good business to have! Amazing about the Swiss smoking so much. It always bothered me, either in Asia or Europe seeing so many people smoking. I hate the smell but to me, there is nothing worse than "smoke and coffee breath". What a turn off!

H.Peter said...


I agree, Nadege.