Sunday, July 07, 2013

PEA SHOOTS SALAD



When you don't have a garden, your harvest is limited. Mostly herbs, maybe the odd pot of something and in Victoria's case pea shoots. They grow fast, so in a climate as the one we are in, you can have a few quick harvests.

This planter box makes for about three generous starter size salads, which suits us fine.  You can eat them as salad, or some Asian restaurants I have been to, flash heat them with some garlic and soy sauce. 
I just added a very small amount of oil and vinegar, which leaves the true flavor bomb of the pea taste and does not get covered up by some rich creamy ranch dressing.

A SMALL HARVEST

ALMOST NO CLEANING NEEDED

LIGHT ON THE DRESSING

A GOOD SALAD

2 comments:

Sheila said...

I've been growing shoots too.
Unfortunately, the peas I ordered
on line are field peas, very small
leaves, long stems. Have you
tried sunflowers? They're my
current favorites, very buttery
and taste just like the seeds we
all snack on. They'd be great on
those sandwiches of yours.

H.Peter said...



Sunflower leaves? Please tell me which part, they are growing everywhere here right now.
I might have to try that