Wednesday, July 10, 2013

MACHE SALAD


Two salad posts in a row. Must be summer. I have not gone off the deep end to forego all good stuff and eat salads only. But it is high summer here and salads feel right.

Mache. Corn or Lamb salad. small, buttery leaves, a bit harder to find in Canada, but since the origins are french, we can get it here all year round. They grow it low to the ground, so even if you buy it pre washed, I'd recommend to wash it again and spin it hard to get all the sand off the leaves.

There are plenty of french vinaigrette recipes out there, ours is simpler than buying a ready made one at Wal Mart. And tastier.  One original ingredient missing in our dressing would be shallots, so if you have some, chop them in.
Have you ever bought one of those stacking Tupper ware sets? Most of the containers in that set are usable  but unless you have an Elf living with you, what do you do with that tiny little one? I finally started to use one of the thimble sized ones to make my dressing. I am using it as a shaker. A bit bigger and I could make my Gin Fizz with it too.....

A half spoon of Dijon, salt, pepper, EVOO and a dash of vinegar, shake it a lot and you get your money's worth from that piece of plastic. Finally.
Just top the salad with some chicken or other things you like on your salad and that  summer meal doesn't get any better.



FEEDS THREE

I RECOMMEND A SPINNER

MY FRENCH DRESSING


SOME DECENT DIJON AND SALT

OLIVE OIL DASH OF VINEGAR, PEPPER


SHAKE IT CREAMY

 DON'T NEED MUCH DRESSING

ADD STRIPED OF CHICKEN BREAST


3 comments:

Nadege said...

My favorite dressing is this one, though, some japanese ones are pretty good too.

Ken Broadhurst said...

Mâche is really good with beets in a vinaigrette dressing. As is Belgian endive, escarole, or frisée.

H.Peter said...


So many salads (and dressings) I am going to start a new blog. Salads of France!