Thursday, July 11, 2013

DINNER FOR ONE



Victoria is on her way back from Les Etats Unis after one week and it is a good thing. Isabella marches to her own beat when it comes to food, so more than once, I found myself cooking for myself this week. 
Not entirely a bad thing, I can prepare a dish or two that my ladies do not like all that much. 

Veal being one of them. I love it. If you ever tried a Wiener Schnitzel with a good veal cut, you know what I am talking about. Both Victoria and Isabella don't enjoy the flavor. Fair enough. 

While I shopped for more Mache salad,  I spotted a special on some Grillades de Veau. Not wanting to start up the BBQ, I just used a cast iron skillet to prepare myself some veal, right after I made some chicken for the picky eater. How much chicken can a kid eat? 

Anyway. There were some herbs that came with the meats, but growing our own, I did not use them. Instead on high heat I quick seared the veal in  nice browned butter, poured a dash of very old Pineau (fortified wine) over the cast iron and turned down the heat before I added some cream and let the whole thing reduce down to a nice creamy sauce. 
Not the best cut of veal, but it did the trick.  Some rice or fresh potatoes would have been nice, but my patience when cooking for one does not extend to sides all that much. More Mache Salad. 

Why is it that we get so much veal in Europe, whereas in North America it gets harder and harder to find? Not enough money in it? Aversion to eating baby cow? Judging by veal prices in Europe, there seems to be a nice margin left to be had. 


ENOUGH FOR FOUR


BROWN SOME BUTTER

QUICK FRY


NO NEED FOR THESE.....


IF YOU GROW YOUR OWN

MAKES A NICE, SWEETISH GRAVY

ADD PINEAU FIRST, REDUCE IT

35% CREAM MAKES THE BEST THICKENER

BETTER WITH RICE



2 comments:

Nadege said...

Looks good!

H.Peter said...

I wouldn't win a price with that meal Nadege, but yes, it did hit the spot!