Saturday, June 29, 2013

NEIGHBORHOOD GET TOGETHER



A couple of weeks ago our doorbell rang and a very nice lady, after telling me that she too lived in our house many years ago (I am telling you it's a clan that lived here, not a family), invited us to a neighborhood fete that she organizes every year. 
Since the location for it is the Union Cafe, our alley neighbor, we signed up. A good idea.

The weather continued it's sub par performance of the year and instead of a nice evening on the patio we were seated inside after some drinks outside. 
Victoria came down with a cold, so it was Isabella and myself going to meet some people that we have seen around, but no idea who they are. Faces I remember, names not so much. 
I shoved Isabella from group to group, making her shake hands with everybody, much to her dismay she told me. It was worse than her Opa's funeral in January she thinks, since there it was just handshakes, but here all the people wanted to talk to her. In french en plus. Oh la la. Quelle horreur. 

We met some of the immediate neighbors who live in the town centre, we met some of the merchants we already knew by face and we met some people from North Carolina and Australia who also live here in Jarnac, some seasonally, some permanently. A great evening.
The set meal was a cold cuts and salad platter with a pile of french fries. And the owner of the Union Bar sang and played guitar. Surprisingly well actually. 

We should do that more often.






NOT THE BEST SUMMER SO FAR

LOCALS AT THE BAR


DOGS ARE WELCOME

L'UNION BAR & RESTAURANT

JOSTLING FOR SEATS

THE MC FOR THE EVENING

THE NEIGHBORS

HE SINGS! OWNER OF THE RESTAURANT

L'ASSIETTE ANGLAISE

7 comments:

Ken Broadhurst said...

Say hello for me to the people from North Carolina, when you see them again.

H.Peter said...


Mr.& Mrs. L. plus a relative of theirs were at the party.

I shall direct them to your Blog.

Nadege said...

Block parties are really nice and it is a very good idea to meet your neighbors...
Lovely photos of the mansions in Jarnack (few posts back). You do live in a nice area. I will take time to visit the blogs you mentioned. I do know a bit of "Sara in le petit village". I remember her being a very good writer.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
H.Peter said...

Block Party. That's the word. I could not think of it when I wrote the post.

Jarnac is a great little town.

Jennifer F said...

Looked like a great opportunity to meet your neighbors. I love events like that! Tell Isabella that my 12 year old daughter would feel exactly the same way!! Quelle Horreur - exactement!! She much prefers time spent with her friends - we are all too OLD! Still hoping the weather takes a turn for the better & warmer! Have a good weekend.

H.Peter said...

I will tell Isabella, we are hoping fr better weather too, Jennifer

Happy Summer ahead