Wednesday, June 19, 2013

FRUITS AND NUTS


And some chickens. They live in a yard with some of my favorite trees.

I  believe the main reason why we don't walk as much in American suburbs is for the lack of visual stimulation. Not much to see, other than the nicely manicured lawns and the neighbor's clean SUV.
Over here, I am not sure why, but we walk a lot. Besides that it allows me to stay on my  "Two Croissants diet", the changes month to month and impressions are much more varied. Which is much less boring and sometimes even exciting. 

If you like fruits fresh from the tree, or young hazelnuts, you should walk in rural France. Though plenty of the trees I walk by are on private property, but if their branches hang over the sidewalk and so low that all you need to do is open your mouth to grab a fig......ehm, well, I go and grab it. Just make sure there is no bee on the fruit. 
If the fruit tree is on a property owned by the commune or town, just go to the first "busy body" fonctionaire, smile and ask if you can pick some fruits. I have yet to be turned down, I think they feel sorry for me as my french sounds very wooden to them. Poor guy needs some vitamins and less carbs......

In the fall if visit the Brocantes or if you look online, many locals sell jams or nut oil for 1.00/jar in every village. Amazing. 






REINE CLAUDE

READY TO EAT

PLUMS ARE LATE THIS YEAR

ONE OF "MY" FIG TREES


STILL NOT READY

SOME NICE APPLES

DEEP RED CHERRIES

TWO KINDS OF HAZELNUT BUSHES

MAYBE ANOTHER MONTH THEY WILL BE READY

LOTS OF TREES ON THIS PUBLIC PROPERTY

FINAL BOWL OF LAST YEAR'S

NICE CHICKEN

HE RULES THE YARD




2 comments:

Ken Broadhurst said...

Beautiful. Especially those hazelnuts. Wish ours would produce like that.

H.Peter said...

There is a bush right across from LIDL, last year we must have picked a kilo of hazelnuts.