Wednesday, June 12, 2013

FROMAGE FRAIS




Or Fromage blanc. One of my favorite desserts right now. You can find it at every Supermarket here, next to the Yoghurt products, it's similar to Cream Cheese, just tastier and better. The closest I can compare it to is Quark in texture and that is not easy to find in the States. 
We buy our fromage frais from the cheese vendor at the market, she brings it in from a dairy company in St. Isigny. A bit more expensive than the supermarket versions from Danone, but well worth it.
A lot of restaurants offer this cheese for dessert with honey, not bad, but I prefer my dark brown cane sugar, which adds a nice molasses flavor to the cheese. A fairly rich proposition, so you should not eat to much of it. 


FRESH CHEESE WITH UNREFINED CANE SUGAR

THERE'S SOME FAT IN THAT

SOME EXCELLENT SUGAR,  FOUND IN GIBRALTAR

2 comments:

Nadege said...

I missed few posts. The roses are beautiful. It is too hot in Southern California; we have them too, but they don't last long and of course, it is seldom they smell.
The charcuterie looks really good too.
I used to eat fromage blanc when I was young, with some cream and plain sugar. Delicious! I can still remember the texture and taste.

H.Peter said...

Not to worry Nadege, easy to catch up. Thanks for commenting