Tuesday, June 04, 2013

DUCK FOOD



We do buy bread. Once in a while. Not for the house, but when it's nice outside and after school, we buy a baguette and go down to the steps along the Charente river and feed the ducks. 
Bread may not be the best choice for them, but they eat it with mucho gusto. No nutrition the smart people say. 
Well, chocolate doesn't have much food value either and I eat a lot of it....

When I watch the ducks interact with each other I have to wonder how they communicate. They display a degree of great instincts if you ask me. Though they seem to share, there is the odd fight that breaks out, especially if there is not a lot of food to around.  Today I saw two of them take on a third, by muscling their necks on top of the poor third one and pushed her under water for quite some time. Never seen that before. Some nipping and chasing maybe, but an attempted drowning?
Oh no, what would PETA do?

But all in all it's a nice way to spend some time outside. I think some of them may recognize Isabella by now, as they come really close and two or three of them even take food from her hand but not mine. I am not there that often, or they do know what I order at the restaurant when I go to China......



DAS BAGUETTE

ISABELLA ENJOYS THE DUCKS

AND THE DUCKS ENJOY ISABELLA

MUST BE HUNGRY

THESE TWO ARE A COUPLE, SWIM TOGETHER

SHE MAKES THEM JUMP

THEY ARE GROWING FAST

THE CHABOT, JARNAC'S TOUR BOAT

4 comments:

melinda said...

i read that bread is not especially good for wild ducks....and it was suggested to feed them something like peas of something green...I have not tried so not sure

H.Peter said...


We are going to change the food as well. Buying something from a pet supply store now.

Merisi said...

A whole series of beautiful pictures, but the jumping duck caught my heart, delightful! :-)

H.Peter said...

Thank you. I did not believe Isabella until I saw one jump for the bread.