Monday, May 27, 2013

THE VEGETABLE GARDENS OF JARNAC





More homes than not do have a vegetable garden here in Jarnac. When we walk to school I see them, when I go grocery shopping there are a few along the way. Vegetables, fruit trees, strawberry fields, raspberry bushes, some just potatos, the variety of gardens is impressive.

One of them, virtually across the street from Intermarche is my favorite. Martha Stewart would approve. The owner told me that he is retired and needs to keep busy, so he gardens. He tells me that at the beginning of the year he usually buys 20.00 Euros worth of seeds for his whole set up. The salad seeds he cultivated himself. Last year he harvested 400kg of potatos from his yard. Luckily he has an extended family he said, because the two of them can't eat that much.... maybe he can adopt me?

Think about it. Thirty bucks and a great hobby to boot. In one of the pictures I tried to show the upside down water bottles he uses for irrigating his tomatos. The rainwater off his roof is all the water he needs and an old above ground pool is now converted into a huge pile of compost. 

And if you live in an apartment without a garden? Well, either make friends with those people who do garden and I am certain they let you have some of their harvest in exchange for some weeding, or of course you can rent a plot from city hall. 
In 2011 the town of Jarnac set up an acreage behind Isabella's school, where you can rent a plot, garden hut and water storage container included.  In fact, it is quite common all over Europe that cities large and small provide land for gardening.
 If you ever took the train across Germany or Austria, you may have seen acreages along the tracks around the outskirts of cities with smaller garden plots.  What a concept.  eat your own grown food. 
CP Rail owns a few unused acres along their railway lines I think.  Now that's an idea worth pursuing. 






NOT MUCH GROWING YET IN THIS ONE

LOOKS LIKE ONIONS IN THE FRONT

THIS ONE IS ONLY HALF USED, IT SEEMS

LOOK AT THE SIZE

MY FAVORITE GARDEN

INEXPENSIVE IRRIGATION SYSTEM

RAIN WATER COLLECTION AND COMPOST

A PROUD GARDENER

JUST ADD SALT & PEPPER

LES JARDINS FAMILIAUX

RENT A PLOT OF 200M2 FOR 40.00/YEAR

2 comments:

Nadege said...

Vegetable gardens and fruit trees have always been important in France. "Le jardin de Dominique" on Facebook posted that the EU is applying the same rules as the US about seeds (I guess Monsanto is controlling the seed market in Europe too).
I love potatoes and they are easy to grow. Twice a week I go to the farmer's market to buy fresh organic (bio) produce, locally grown.

H.Peter said...

Yes Nadege, in my head I was writing something different. About consumer patterns and Montsanto's reign.

But it is better that I kept it all about the nice gardens around the area.