Monday, May 13, 2013

SAUCE HOLLANDAISE - MADE FROM SCRATCH



Do you know why Eggs Benedict are usually the most expensive item on a breakfast menu? $15.00 for a pair of poached eggs on a soggy bun with some egg flavoured gravy? Canadian bacon is not that expensive. Or that razor thin slice of salmon some smart chef came up with, for an even greater profit margin.
 I believe it's because Restaurants & the Chefs know that nobody wants to make their own Hollandaise sauce at home, especially not at 8 am on a Sunday.  So they buy it pre made from Sysco, heat it up and ding you for it anyway. "Yumm, those Eggs Benedict at the Banff Springs were sooo good!" (Most overheard comment on the way back to Calgary)

EASY to make. Just like mayo.
Since my images are usually not the best instructions and I don't want to type out a recipe for this simply Simon sauce, here is a 2 minute video which demonstrates that my theory is not that outlandish...... 







SALT, PEPPER, EGG YOLKS, BUTTER, WINE AND SOME LEMON JUICE

BEAT YOLKS OVER STEAM UNTIL CREAMY, FLUFFY(?)

MELT BUTTER (CLAIRFY IF YOU HAVE THE PATIENCE)

ADD SALT, PEPPER, DASH OF DRY WINE 

SOME LEMON JUICE FOR MORE FLAVOR

BEAT IN THE BUTTER UNTIL YOU GET GOOD CONSISTENCY

NOT MY BEST EFFORT......

2 comments:

Nadege said...

That is a good video too! You are so right about restaurants charging you an arm and a leg because it has a "special" sauce on it. My pet peeve is ordering pasta in an italian restaurant. I don't do heavy sauces so the only light sauce I get is either marinara (hate it when there is too much olive oil in it though) or pasta primavera. For the price of one dish, I could buy a 2 year supply of quality organic pasta at Whole Foods.
I understand restaurants need to make money, but I am getting tired of overpriced, salty drench in oil food (I eat in nice restaurants, never fast food).

H.Peter said...



yes, some places do get away with a bit too much.
I love to find "hole in wall" kind of places where the owners still cook and not Sysco.