Tuesday, May 14, 2013

LE CHEESE




I think that's my first post about cheese. Might as well, since we are in France.  And if our host country is known for something aside of great designer fashion, it's cheese. Lots of it. I think any animal that produces consumable milk, some french artisan will make cheese with it. And that's a good thing.
It has been said that France has more cheese varieties than days in a year (Charles de Gaulle, The prez) and I believe it.
Since I am the only true cheese eater in our family, we don't have cheese trays or such big splashes, but once in a while I do buy a small piece of something that I want to try. 

And today I bought some blue cheese. Not a Roquefort or Bleu d'Avergne, the two most known fromages bleu in France, I bought a Bleu de Laqueuille. No worries, you are not the only one who has no idea where that is. I had to Google it as well. Here is the official description from a cheese blog: 
Bleu de Laqueuille is produced in the mountainous Auvergne region of France during the summer and autumn months from the milk of Salers cows. This robust blue, reminiscent of Bleu d'Auvergne, is a bit salty and full-bodied with a creamy blue paste. It pairs well with many robust reds and with most dessert wines.

Since it was barely lunch time, I did not pair it with any wine, just some cherry tomatos and Victoria's gluten free bread. Have you ever walked into an old, dusty room where you have difficulty breathing? That is my first impression of eating this fairly sharp blue cheese. Glorious. 
It sticks with you for a while, that's for sure. 
Strange really, that not many people in America like blue cheese, but they all order blue cheese dressing with their salads. And that's what happens when you bastardize a food group. The consumer gets dulled down to a vanilla everything attitude. No sharp edges please.  Those crumbles in your salad have not much similar with real, artisan cheese from France. 

There's lots of information, better than mine out there, here are a few sites:







YOU WILL FIND ONE YOU LIKE


BLEU LAQUUILLE

IT'S STRONG

BUT VERY GOOD

2 comments:

Nadege said...

French cheese (raw milk preferably) is wonderful! I don't like blue cheese at all. It is milder when cooked but I am not a fan.
I bought a nice piece of Comte for one of the girl who helps me at work. She said it was too strong for her and could only eat a little, little bit of it at a time. I guess I shouldn't be surprise because she told me 2 weeks ago that she didn't know wine should be paired with the food you are eating. She had never heard of it. It is all a question of education.( Her candor was painful to listen to).

H.Peter said...


Blue cheese is not for everybody.
Funny about your friend's vanilla taste buds.