Sunday, May 12, 2013

ASPARAGUS WITH SAUCE HOLLANDAISE



It's asparagus season. No matter where you go, super market fresh market, even LIDL, you are bound to see specials advertised.
When we when for a walk this Sunday morning, we saw a van with signs just across the bridge, bringing in asparagus from the closest growing region, Blayais. About 100 km (62 miles) from Jarnac, the farmland is located along the Gironde, northwestish of Bordeaux.

I don't know much about the differences in quality, but seeing that there were a few locals lined up,  
we bought some. The vendor told me to take the thicker ones, as they are easier to peel, but personally I prefer the thin stalks over the bulkier ones. "You have a lot to peel now", he told me. Thanks. I like you too.
It's not really that much work, but apparently I did not enjoy it, as Isabella drew a stick figure on her water bottle that depicted  me while peeling.....hmmmm, where does she get that from?

I also made Hollandaise from scratch, a sauce to prepare similar to Mayo, just with butter and warm. The classic condiment to go along with the Asparagus. It's available in supermarkets prepackaged, but I have never found one that I liked, nor gluten free. And really, short of cleaning up the pots, not difficult to make. And you know what's in it.  Cook more at home and buy less pre made stuff. It's really better for you. Just train your kids to do the dishes......




BUY IT DIRECT FROM THE FARMER

DIFFERENT QUALITY AND PRICES

I ALWAYS CUT OFF THE ENDS A BIT

AND I PEEL THEM

APPARENTLY I DID NOT LOOK EXCITED ABOUT IT, SAYS ISABELLA

MAKING THE SAUCE

SIMMER THEM FOR A BIT UNTIL MEDIUM SOFT

THE SAUCE SHOULD BE THICKER (WITH SOME PATIENCE)

4 comments:

Jennifer F said...

I too love the smaller ones! Personally, I just think they are more tender...and so what if you have to peel more of them! It's so nice to find local!

Nadege said...

I love asparagus and have been eating them for a while now.
I am not sure you will be able to view this
http://www.marthastewart.com/976351/easy-hollandaise?xsc=eml_edfsc_2013_05_08&om_rid=NsryNX&om_mid=_BRikxWB8yZaMNG

I get a video everyday from "everyday food". You should subscribe to it.

H.Peter said...

Funny, Nadege, I was planning a post along those lines for tomorrow...

H.Peter said...

Hi Jennifer,

the growing area is even closer to you....