Tuesday, April 16, 2013

VIENNA 101



We went to Vienna today for a meeting, a short trip but still enough time for a quick family tour into the center of Austria's capital. We took the very efficient subway from the outskirts to Stephansplatz and I did my usual touristy walk along the Dorotheergasse to the Reitschule on to the Kohlmarkt to the Graben and back down past the cathedral to Schwedenplatz before heading back out of the city and go to the meeting in the 22nd district, Donaustadt.

While Isabella did enjoy some of the sights such as the show kitchen at Demel's pastry shop and the horse drawn carriages, she was more concerned that I would be able to locate her favorite clothing store.....she may be taking after other family members in that regard. So the ladies went shopping, while I did some premium people watching in the very busy pedestrian zone. 
Vienna has always been a melting pot throughout history, but it is amazing how many different and to my ear, new languages I heard today. Exciting times in Vienna, that's for sure.

We barely had enough time to walk longer than a couple of hours, so if my images seem rushed, well they were.  Let me point you to a blog about all things Vienna for pictures that do better justice to the beauty of this city:






YES, IT STILL HAPPENS

TOURIST TRAP ALERT....NOT THAT SPECIAL

AM GRABEN

FAMOUS

TAKE A RIDE

SHE FED THEM CARROTS. HAPPY HORSES

A GREAT INSTITUTION

ANTIQUE POCKET WATCHES

VINTAGE BLING

SHOW KITCHEN AT THE DEMEL PASTRY SHOP


THE SHOP

JOSEPH BROT DISPLAY (NOT GF)

AT MEINL DELIKATESSEN

MUST BE GOOD ICE CREAM. 40 PEOPLE LINED UP

LUCKY ISABELLA WENT SHOPPING FOR NEW CLOTHES


5 comments:

Merisi said...

Thank you so much for mentioning and linking my blog! I appreciate your kindness!

Loved leafing through your pictures and being able to tell where you shot them. I still remember my first years here, coming home and not having the slightest idea where I had taken most of my pictures.

Cheers,
Merisi

Merisi said...

P.S.:
Cafe Diglas does a really good Wiener Schnitzel, and so does Brandl out in the 19th District, on Kahlenberger Strasse. A spectacular place to have a Wiener Schnitzel is the Meierei in the Stadtpark. Reservations may be a good idea there, but the place and the cooking, including the cheese selection are simply grand (upstairs is one of the world's best restaurants, the Steirereck, both places share the same kitchen, though).

Merisi said...

The Meierei - pictures and links.

H.Peter said...

You are welcome. Your Blog shows Vienna in it's best light.

Nadege said...

Love, love, love Vienna! Thank you for reminding me what I am missing!