Tuesday, December 18, 2012

THE TRUFFLE MARKET



We went to the Jarnac Truffle market last year, I even bought a small one for a couple of Omelettes. Now that we live here, it's only a two minute walk to the building where the truffle hunters sell their shrooms twice a week.

The first market, December 4th, was sold out in 3 minutes.....that gives you an idea how popular it is. Today it took a little longer, but not by much. By the time I got to take some pictures and listen to some conversations, it was all over. 
Today's prices ranged from 900.00 to 1300.00 a kilo. Our dog has yet to find a truffle....but then I did not really make her try so hard. 



IT'S TRUFFLE SEASON

ORGANIZED AND CONTROLLED QUALITY

15 MINUTES BEFORE OPENING

950.00/KG

WRITES A LARGE CHECK

THE BARGAIN TABLE.....

SOLD OUT IN 30 MINUTES

2 comments:

Nadege said...

I remember when you posted about the truffle last year. Are you going to get some this year? Is it worth it? I am not that familiar with real truffles.

H.Peter said...

Yes, I am getting a smaller one later in the new year. Enough for a Risotto and some Omelettes.
It's a distinct flavor that you either like or not. Very pungent, wet forest.