Wednesday, November 21, 2012

MY CUCUMBER SALAD

 
 
Mundane topic. Cucumber salad, who cares.
When I started out in my first chosen career in the hotel and restaurant business my first intern job was in a hotel kitchen. I was 14. The Chef who ran the show decided I should work the salad station to learn how to use the utensils. How to cut vegetables and not my fingers.
You have no idea how many cucumbers I sliced that summer. And some fingers, but I still have all of them.
Though I never chose the kitchen route of the hotel business (  the bar side of things looked way more appealing), I hand cut most of my vegetables, including cucumbers to this day. It's much easier with a mandoline of course, but try to cut your next one by hand. Even slices please. It's hard at first, but after some 60 cucumbers and a dozen of Band Aids you'll get the hang of it.
 
There are many ways to make a dressing for this salad, my favorite is the creamy spicy mixture described below.

 
 
HAND CUT

CREME FRAICHE, CREAM, RICE VINEGAR, SPICY PEPPERS, SALT, PEPPER

JUST MIX IT ALL UP INTO A SMOOTH DRESSING

THE WAY I MAKE IT

2 comments:

Nadege said...

That is a mighty good looking salad. I like dill in my cucumbers too and also enjoy the ones they serve in japanese restaurants.

H.Peter said...

Happy Thanksgiving Nadege.
Yes, we love the Thai restaurants way of serving the spicy salad.