Friday, October 19, 2012

VEAL KIDNEYS - OFFAL FRIDAY


Second offal Friday. I had troubles with Blogger yesterday, the post is delayed one day.

Veal kidneys, another french specialty which you can find on many Bistro menus. Not for everyone, but we should all at least try a dish once. Both Victoria and Isabella declined again, which  left more for me.

Some people put the kidney in milk for a day, I find it not necessary, but did it anyway. The kidney still retained it's strong flavor. Otherwise you might as well fry a steak. 
My preparation is simple, there are dozens of recipes out there. In the hopes of Victoria at least wanting to try a bite, I omitted onions, which are a good add on if you make this dish. 

Do not fry the kidneys too long, they get hard and rubbery that way. I fried them in some butter, added the bacon and garlic I roasted before and put in a dash  of Pineau (french aperitif) with a few spoons of Creme Fraiche, which basically acts as a thickener.

Call your butcher. Order a kidney.



 A VEAL KIDNEY

BUTTER, BACON, CREME FRAICHE, SALT, PEPPER, PARSLEY, GARLIC, MUSHROOM AND PINEAU

NOT REALLY NECESSARY FOR VEAL

SLICE THE KIDNEY

ROAST THE GARLIC, BACON

HIGH HEAT, QUICK FRY ON BOTH SIDES

ADD BACON, MUSHROOMS, GARLIC

ADD SOME PINEAU (OR COGNAC, OR MADEIRA) AND CREME FRAICHE

IT'S GOOD TO EAT 

6 comments:

Jennifer F said...

All I can say is...Yummy!! Thanks for the inspiration and the easy recipe. As much as I like to cook, it's harder to try new things...I've had them at restaurants, but not made them myself. I guess I'll have to try this soon. Have a good weekend!

Ken Broadhurst said...

The rognons de veau look amazingly good. I love them, and lamb kidneys too. I'll have to get some from the traveling butcher this coming week.

H.Peter said...

Yes ken, they turned out nice. Creamy sauce with a twang of sweetness from the Pineau. I am happy.

H.Peter said...

Did you ever see kidneys for sale in America Jennifer?

I know I saw some at small butcher shops, but never at a store.

Sheila said...

We don't have any such thibg
available here in our part of
Texas. That kidney looks amazingly
large...maybe just the photo. I
don't think I could have resisted
at least a taste, they look
delicious. Nice spuds, too!

Believe lamb kidneys were usually
served when I was a kid. I remember
there being just two sections, and
they were much darker in color.

Jennifer F said...

I don't remember seeing kidney for sale in America. Perhaps smaller butcher shops or markets were you could special order....I think Americans have enough problems with liver..(which I admit I enjoy with peppers and onions) - Kidney is probably too over the top... Have a good weekend - don't forget to turn your clock back.