Friday, October 12, 2012

OFFAL FRIDAY


Sweetbreads. A tiny part of veal innerts. Responsible for the baby cow's growth, I have never really seen it anywhere for sale in Canada. Maybe one can order it. If you bought it before, I would love to know how much it is in North America. You find it on menus at certain restaurants, but not at Safeway. Here in Europa people love it so much, the price is shockingly high.

When you spend some time in France, you are exposed to all animal parts. At the markets, at the butcher's, even in super markets will you find all sorts of raw ingredients that XL Foods probably just discards. They are busy enough cleaning shit off the meat I hear.
Anyway. Little by little you will get introduced to the glory parts of french cooking. 

Trust me when I say, "it just tastes like chicken...." well, soft creamy chicken that is. I am the only one in this house who will touch any of those pieces, both Victoria and Isabella want"real" chicken.....

When I was a kid in Austria and the local butcher had some sweetbreads, my mother would buy some and fry it up for her family. Guess what? I ate it since I am a kid.  Since it is so fresh (think meat jello), the preparation is not only easy, it's fool proof. 
Stick with good, simple ingredients. No need for strong flavors, no onions, garlic or strong herbs. 
Some salt, butter and fresh Thyme is all I  used this time. 
I fried up the gland with some fresh Cepes and leftover Figs, served it on a tasty Risotto. All to myself. The girls just looked at me and ate the rice......






GROWTH GLAND OF A BABY COW


POACHING IT FOR A MINUTE MAKES REMOVING THE MEMBRANE EASIER

TRIM IT

SLICE INTO SMALLER PIECES

CEPES

 FRESH FIGS TOO

FRESH THYME, BUTTER AND SEA SALT, NEED NOTHING ELSE

BROWN IT ALL UP

I TELL YOU, IT'S HARD TO TAKE PICTURES

SERVE WITH SOME RISOTTO

4 comments:

eatingisthehardpart.com said...

Beauty!

H.Peter said...

I knew you would like this one, Chris.,..

Sheila said...

When I lived (eons ago) in the
Eastern US, sweetbreads were
readily available. Only offal I
really enjoyed. Cooked with a
dash of cream and white wine, I
think. My English parents were
great fans of kidneys --me not
so much.

H.Peter said...

Hi Sheila,

kidneys are next!!