Friday, September 14, 2012

SMOOTHIES


Every since living in Las Vegas we had a Blender. A Vitamix. It got used a lot for smoothies and soups over the years. Iced drinks more so than my puree soups. Victoria would always have fruits and vegetables in the house to make a good, healthy drink for the family.

When we started selling some of our household before moving to Europa, the Vitamix was the very first item that got bought. I had it on KIJIJI for not even half a day and three people wanted it. The low asking price did help, but it is a very good mixer.

Here in Europe the asking price for a new Vitamix is 650.00 Euros, or around 840.00 Dollars. Considering that our very nice washing machine was less than half that price, I could not justify that purchase.
So we started to look for alternatives locally, something good to make iced drinks and some soups as well. The hunt did not go so well. In our area and south in Bordeaux we could not find any Blender that would come close the Vitamix in performance. regular household strength yes.
My next step then was to maybe find a used one on EBAY or Le Bon Coin, but there weren't any to be found.
But I did find a very similar looking blender on EBAY, the JTC OmniBlend V Some research and comparisons made us go for that one. 

At 220.00 Euros it not only comes in two thirds lower in price, the performance is at par with the higher priced Vitamix. Maybe the overall design is not as slick as it could be, the lid is softer,  there is a push button dial and the jar itself is maybe not as solid as the competition.
In the end though we made a good buy. The 3HP motor makes the smoothies we want and the rest we get used to.  Soup next.




JTC OMNI BLEND V



VERY STRONG 3HP MOTOR


MANGO, STRAWBERRY BANANA SMOOTHIE

ICE CUBES

BLOOD ORANGE JUICE

AFTER A FEW SECONDS, STILL CHUNKY

COMPLETELY SMOOTH AFTER 35 SECONDS

2 comments:

Nadege said...

I know it is going to sound stupid : I have two Vitamix blenders. The old fashion one (stainless steal) that I used twice. Then I bought a new one last year and used it once so far. My little "magic bullet" is so easy to clean, small, and just more practical. I bought a kitchen aid 3 years ago : never used it. I have a bread machine : never used it. A rice cooker, never used it. A Bendix mixer : never used it. And you should see all the cooking books I own. The only 1 recipe I made few times is from Elie Krieger's "the food you crave". And of course, there are all the food blogs I read.
I eat out a lot and most of the shows I work on have caterers.

H.Peter said...

That's a lot of toys for not using them Nadege. But indeed I believe the American lifestyle when it comes to cooking is fundamentally geared towards convenience. I.E. Deliveries,take out food, etc.

I'd like a caterer on my job. Dang, I don't have a job....