Tuesday, August 14, 2012

FERMETURE EXCEPTIONELLE


Exceptional closure. Leave it to the French to come up with more ways than anyone to turn a mid week holiday into a 5 day weekend.
This Wednesday, August 15th, is a holiday. Most smaller mom & pop shops are already closed on Monday to begin with, so nothing seems more normal to the french than to write a little note (typed, if it's a fancy shop), hang it in their window and take off to the beach. Or where ever they spend their free time. Which, compared to north american standards, is a lot of free time.

Though I am getting better at relaxing and accepting a slower pace of living, these little oddities of french life still have me thinking. The most amazing thing about it all? Life goes on. Nothing happened. You can still get your hair cut on Thursday. Or buy those shoes on Friday. The world keeps turning. It's a matter of choice to them. And they choose to live more over working too hard.

But trust me, it is a slow and sometimes difficult transition from a life spoiled by convenience, to a life of making sure all is done and shopped before everything shuts down. I know that sounds like a petty thing and I agree. Coffee is good without milk. 

I want to keep going on and make this a broader social commentary, but let's just leave it at that. the French are happy and we are happy too. I got my hair cut last week. 






HAND WRITTEN SIGNS WILL DO

NO HAIR CUTS FOR A FEW DAYS

THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING

AH, LET'S MAKE IT A WEEK OFF

HOW ABOUT TWO WEEKS?


2 comments:

My Journey With Candida said...

My Hubs would have a really hard time adjusting in France. He goes to the grocery store daily. I guess he would have to learn to stock up or do without.

H.Peter said...

I used to love going to the grocery stores in Calgary. Still do,but the pattern has changed....