Wednesday, July 11, 2012

CUSTOMER SERVICE IN FRANCE



France has a reputation. In Blogs, in movies, from countless traveler's reports you heard that french are somewhat indifferent if not right out rude.  Well I say, not here. Not with us. 
For sure, I had my run in over the phone with the GDF (Gaz de France) minion, when I asked for rapid connection of my gas line, so I can install the hot water. She just was not interested that I smell like a garbage worker who cleaned up restaurant row in Tokyo. Or maybe my translation did not work... But overall, let me tell you it has been a bliss. 

Our number one stand out in that regard is a home improvement store that must have taken a page from an American handbook for excellence in customer service. With our ongoing renovations, we have been to the Soyaux store of Leroy Merlin now about a doze times for a variety of things. Mostly paint and bath room fixtures. 
No matter how difficult a request was, they always got an answer for it. Advice? Always. 

They even advertise that they accept returns of merchandise you bought and either don't need (extra tiles in our case), or if you changed your mind ( a different sink for our bath room), just bring it back. As I type this, Victoria just opened a can of black paint, that in fact is blue. I would worry to take it back to  Brico Depot, they might think I return some lower quality paint in a high end can...but at Leroy Merlin? A breeze.

So. Unless you come here yourself and experience customer service either way, do not believe everything you read or hear. France is good. 



#1 IN CUSTOMER SERVICE


MON DIEU! OPEN ON THEIR BIGGEST HOLIDAY

STAFF THAT LISTENS

AND WILL FIND AN ANSWER IF THEY DON'T KNOW IT

LOADS OF SPECIALS

BEST SELECTION

OUR KITCHEN SINK

RETURNS IN FRANCE? YES!

CALL WITH QUESTIONS, THEY HELP

4 comments:

American Mom in Bordeaux said...

As far as LeRoy Merlin I have to totally agree with you. We have had similar experiences here in Bordeaux. This Spring we went to our local Bricomarche to get a lawn mower...my husband wanted to make sure the model had a bag attachment that could be ordered....the salesman not only didn't know but didn't get back to us either...and when we showed up 10 days later to ask the same question - he recognized us but still said he didn't know! So off we went to Leroy Merlin and in 1 hour we bought our new tractor and all our questions answered! I concur - Nice Job Leroy Merlin!!

Cyndi said...

I think it depends on how you define 'rude' - when the stock guy at the grocery asks you politely to move away from the tomatoes you're thinking of buying because he's going to refill them, is that rude?

Is it rude to consider your job - stocking shelves - to outweigh the customer's need to buy things?

In the States, I'd say it was rude. In the States, it is rude. Things are different here and so as long as he asked nicely, I just chalk it up to the normal French refusal to act servile.

Aside from small things like the above, I have never been treated badly by anyone here. At least, never by anyone native to France.

Sheila said...

Looks just like one of our DIY
stores in the US, except that
The Mexican would never be
permitted to walk around like
that. Pity.

H.Peter said...

Vhat?
I write post after post after post, no one comments, then I praise France and get three comments???