Tuesday, June 12, 2012

GLUTEN FREE AUSTRIA


Let me ask you this: Would you eat bread that's made with gluten free wheat starch? According to this study it is OK and will do no harm. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10192194
I know Victoria won't touch it, but all GF breads we have found so far in Austria, contain some sort of deglutened wheat. Which, from a marketing point is bizarre. 

As Victoria is in Canada for a couple of weeks and Isabella consumes more than her daily allotment of home made GF buns, I fear she is running out of bread while I am gone as well, so I bought her some gluten free Ciabatta. I cook, but I don't bake. Nor did Victoria ever let me take a look at her magic......so there is not much that can be done.

About an hour from my village is a giant (I mean GIANT) producer of regular par baked goods. they have a chain of stores, but supply most major groery stores with their line up of bread. It's so big, they have their own bakery tour business. And let me tell you at 9.00 Euros a pop, they are doing pretty well. Tuesday morning at 10am the parking lot was filling up, including 4 buses. 
On their website they do a good job of promoting a nice line up of gluten free products.

It turns out I wasted my time going there, as all GF products are made in license by an independent supplier with only their name on the packaging. The lady who helped me was very knowledgeable about Celiacs and the products offered. They chose the sub production route for plain and simple the right reasons. 
Inside their facility it would be impossible to avoid cross contamination. They are so strict in fact, they won`t even open a package to serve it onsite (they also have a coffee shop) for sandwiches. Too risky.
That``s the good news really. 

Isabella was raised on GF PATISSERIE products, so it`s hard and a tad unfair to compare a frozen piece of gluten free something. Let`s just say she is limiting her daily bun consumption for them to last until Mum comes back from Regina.....





ONE OF 13 GF PRODUCTS

ALL ABOUT WHEAT


FUNKY DESIGN

YOU COULD TOUR THE BAKERY

BUS LOADS OF VISITORS, TRUCK LOADS OF FLOUR

IT`S A HUGE PLACE


BUSLOADS OF VISITORS

HUGE SELECTION, BUT NO FRESH GLUTEN FREE BAKED GOODS

BRIOCHE LOOKED PALE

IF YOU ARE IN A BIND, IT WILL DO

No comments: