Tuesday, April 10, 2012

WHERE IS THE BOEUF?


Victoria was practically raised on T-Bone steaks growing up in Alberta and I ate my fair share of steaks at Morton's and other Las Vegas steakhouses. Which by no means makes us experts, but we do know enough.
France, the land of Cheese, Croissants, Baguettes and Boeuf Bourguignon. Is it a sign that the only world famous beef dish from France is a stew? 

I mean Charolais  is a great breed of cattle and known everywhere, but what do they do with the meat here in France? Export all the good parts (as Alberta does with it's horse meat, which we find everywhere here) and leave us the rest? Because all French make stew? Are the butchers at fault as Victoria seems to think? Have I lost my magic touch on the BBQ? 
The other famous beef dish, Steak Frites, as many of you can attest, is a hit or miss situation when dining out in France as well.  Once in a while you get a top notch steak, but many more times, it's not that good really. 

I bought Entrecote at the market and at Supermarkets since we arrived and so far, not many attempts of grilling them came anywhere close to the same cuts we bought in Canada.
Sometimes Spring Creek, sometimes Supermarket, they were all better than what we had here so far.
Am I missing a secret black market for good cuts? Should I seek out a rancher who will give me first dibs? Any advise?
Maybe we should do some trading with Kirsten from Spring Creek! A side of beef might be a bit large for luggage though. 

This is a great post for all beef fans:



JUST NOT THAT GOOD


FAMOUS BEEF STEW FROM FRANCE


THE KOTELKOS. WWW.SPRINGCREEK.CA

4 comments:

Ken Broadhurst said...

We get rumsteak here in France to make steak au poivre with a cream, black pepper, and cognac sauce. It's lean and at the same time tender. I also really like basses-côtes for grilling or pan-searing. I think a lot of French beef goes for hamburger meat now. And besides Boeuf Bourguignon, you have Boeuf aux Carottes, Daube de Boeuf, Pot au Feu, Côte de Boeuf (prime rib), Fondue Bourguignonne(look for a cut called "poire" or for "tende de tranche, Châteaubriand, Boeuf à la Ficelle, Tournedos... and so on. You need to find and consult with a good butcher.

The stew looks delicious.

H.Peter said...

I "borrowed" the image from Flickr...not ready yet to cook it up.

I agree with the butcher choice. Fully.
Once we come back in July, I plan to make nice with the guy at the market and see if it takes me anywhere in the meat I get.

Cyndi said...

the new look is great!

Re: beef - I am of the belief that they probably don't age the beef the way Americans (I've never eaten a steak in Canada, so I'm of no use there) do.

Aging gives it a fuller, more buttery flavor and a more pleasant texture, also.

**It's just a guess, but it's all I can come up with.

H.Peter said...

You are probably not far off Cyndi.
Back in town today, need to meet with Steve