Thursday, April 19, 2012

LUNCH IN FRANCE



I am not sure if lunch in France is their most important meal of the day, but to me it sure seems the longest. One of my first experiences with this two hour plus break in the middle of a productive day was when I tried to fuel up the car one late morning and the gas station attendant calmly pulled the chain across the drive just when I pulled in.
When I asked if I could slip in last second, his response was a very clear " Mais non, c'est midi, il faut manger." or something like that.
Stupid enough I asked when he would come back, thinking his lunch is maybe a sandwich or a similar 15 minute affair, but no, I was told to come back after two. WHAT? That's in two hours I tried to protest, what am gonna do until then?  "Vas manger quelque chose" (Go eat something). His very calm reply.....

Since then, though it is still my most disliked feature of French life since arriving, I have adapted. Sort of. Well, not really. I still moan about it weekly. 
In North America we are conditioned to productivity and though lunch breaks are taken, they hardly ever amount to a three course deal, then some coffee and a long talk about politics after.

The verdict is still out for me if I will ever like it or not. It is now 1.15 pm, I just had a two course lunch at home with red wine, so I am making progress. But people, it's still an hour to go before everybody gets back into the swing of things. I am ready! Places to be, people to see!!

TODAY'S LUNCH:



MERGUEZ IN A GLUTEN FREE BUN

WITH A GLASS OF LEFTOVER BORDEAUX

GLUTEN FREE BREAD PUDDING WITH A BERRY GLAZE



5 comments:

ellorneo said...

Nice! I've got the 2 hour lunch figured as well. I eat lunch when boss man is still around, then take an additional lunch when he leaves for HIS lunch.

I would get along with France, methinks...

H.Peter said...

You will make a great fire fighter Lorne. All they do is lunch

ellorneo said...

Thanks! Too bad I won't become one though. I couldn't follow through with my application. The pay cut was too big for me, and being a single income family, it's not the best idea to cut funding like that.

I'll have to continue being a good engineer, and make lunches that are far more enjoyable!

Ken Broadhurst said...

HP, you obviously need to slow down and go with the flow. It takes a while, but you will come to enjoy it and wonder what all the hurrying was about. Life follows a different rhythm in France.

H.Peter said...

It may just be part of my DNA though.
Maybe I start drinking Herbal teas instead of espresso.