Friday, April 13, 2012

GLUTEN FREE BORDEAUX



I am sure book stores around the globe feel the pinch of E-Readers and Amazon.com. At Chapter's in Canada the gift section keeps getting more floor space every season it seems and here in France? Wine. Of course. Smells better than cheese?

In Bordeaux Lac, just outside the city proper, we stopped by a Home Depot type store to buy some goods for the house when I saw this multi media store with a restaurant attached.  With a huge wine section. For a book store that is. 
Lunch is always a good proposition for me.
When we checked out the menu, the hostess told us that if we choose any wine from the store it can be served at the table for store prices. Which was the clincher. A good strategy to fill the chairs.

Our server was also the in house Sommeliere. Once we explained the gluten issue and got that out of the way, she toured me around the bins and made her recommendations for some pairing to match our food choices. Naturally she chose wines that were a bit pricier than what one needs for a casual lunch and no knowledge of the finer nuances when it comes to wine.

I did not go for the two buck chuck, but I also did not want to spend 30.00 Euro on a bottle of wine for lunch. 
The service in regards to our gluten free issue was excellent and so was the food.
 I always order dishes that I know will never be served at home, since I am the only one eating it, such as these excellent Veal Kidneys. I unselfishly sacrificed a sauce that had gluten in the hopes one of my girls would want to try a bite, but not so.
Victoria's Filet Mignon made up for all the bad Steak Frites we had, topped with a slice of Foie Gras.
Isabella got some greens by her own request. 
The server checked the desserts and unfortunately even the ice cream had gluten in it. So no dessert.
The only flaw I observed was that even with higher priced wines, such as at the table next to us, who had their bottled decanted, the restaurant used those cheap, less than IKEA quality wine glasses.
Fine for guys like me, but if I spend 300.00 bucks on a bottle, I would want to go for the full experience. Riedel stemware included.







BOOK STORE WITH WINE & FOOD

STILL SELL BOOKS FOR THE TIME BEING

WINE TAKING UP QUITE SOME FLOOR SPACE


1.5L MAGNUMS

ST. EMILION WINES

POUR YOUR OWN SINGLE MALT

OUR WINE CHOICE FOR LUNCH

TWO BUCK CHUCK

MADE IN AUSTRIA

FOR YOUR NEXT PARTY

SOMMELIER'S SUGGESTION

IT'S VERY HEAVY. FOR LUNCH

SOUP DE POISSON SANS GLUTEN

MY FAVORITE OFFAL, VEAL KIDNEYS, GLUTEN FREE

ISABELLA ORDERED SALAD

A VERY GOOD FILET MIGNON WITH FOIE GRAS MID CUIT

IT WAS PACKED BY THE TIME WE LEFT

GOOD MENU

NEXT TIME.....

BUT THEN, I WOULD NOT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE TO THESE


5 comments:

ellorneo said...

Soupe de poisson sounds so much tastier than Fish Soup.

H.Peter said...

And tasty it was.

Andy said...

Is that the place in the corner near Ikea?

H.Peter said...

It is indeed. Beats Swedish meatballs....

gfe--gluten free easily said...

Talk about having all the good stuff in one place! That's my kind of "bookstore"! :-)

Shirley