Sunday, January 08, 2012

CHICKEN COPS



Coincidentally, as I was preparing a nice Sunday Chicken dinner and surfing the web while the food was getting ready, an article in the Globe & Mail caught my eye, which not only explains why I think eggs, chickens, butter, cheeses and foods taste better here, but even more so it shows that any food trend of significance has to be consumer driven. Not supplier based ideas of what we should eat. Especially if they are in bed with the government for market protectionism measures.... 
 Well, what did you think why cheese is so expensive in Canada? Price fixing at it's finest. 

Trying as much as I can, not to whine or compare (after all I was not very vocal about food issues while living in North America), it is hard not to grab a soap box and say what I think. Just read the article and hope that Mr. Harper is willing to change some things along the way.

Come on, quotas are very Russian in concept, not free market stimulating at all. Yes, yes, food safety is an issue they may say, but guess what, Europe has a combined population of 300 Million  as well and they are just fine with much lesser hygienic food serving standards over here.
It is, as a fact, Victoria' most exciting issue when we go to markets and see how food is handled. No bleach water bucket in sight, tongues to grab a slice of cake, after they handled your money? Nah, what for? Hands are clean (enough). 

North American food inspectors would have the times of their lives over here, full of glee for all the fines they could hand out. They'd need to come up with a new scale for all the demerit points for violations they have never even dreamed of back home.

Here is the article:






ROASTED FREE RANGE CHICKEN

ROASTED POTATOES

FRESH BUTTER LETTUCE WITH TOMATOES FROM SPAIN

GF BRIOCHE BUNS, COURTESY OF VICTORIA

YES, I DRINK RED WITH CHICKEN

REALLY GOOD APPLE JUICE FOR ISABELLA

4 comments:

ellorneo said...

I went to a restaurant in Cochrane where we saw the dude wash dishes then immediately prepared our sandwiches without washing up. That's gross.

I would like cheaper cheese here too. It would be nice.

The chicken looks fantastic! You should cook for our family someday.

H.Peter said...

Your family can break bread with us anytime Mr. Lorne.
Bordeaux is the closest airport.
Direct flight from Montreal with Air Transat...

When the guy did dishes, he washed his hands, no?

Nadege said...

I agree with you. I have a girl friend who is a hygiene freak. She cleans the restaurant table with her sanitized wipes before sitting down... It "drives me up the wall" but I don't say anything. I just told her once "I wonder how mankind make it for thousands of years without anti-bacterial wipes?". Scientists know that, the more contact we have with organisms, the better and stronger our immune system becomes, but I do draw the line to bathrooms; please, wash your hands after using the toilet! I also like it when visiting someone's home, to remove my shoes, and vice versa. (That is the Asian way)

H.Peter said...

Well said, nadege.