Monday, December 26, 2011

VEAL KIDNEY ROAST


Not an appealing name is it? Offal is not the most common part in North American cooking, in Europe however, it's as common as T-Bone steak.
One of my favorite roasts is (mother) milk fed veal with it's kidneys tucked inside. Naturally a request for Christmas, we picked up a nice roast at the village butcher, which we then made in a Roemertopf, a clay pot which thanks to it's porous nature works somewhat similar to a steamer while roasting the meat.

As you can see in the picture, my mother's pot has some mileage which just adds to it's quality. 
While the Austrian branch of my family was schmatzing away at this excellent roast, the Canadian part of my family was busy finding ways to hide the kidney they just could not stomach to eat. 
No surprise really, it's not for everybody. Once Isabella found out what is on her plate, game over. She did not even finish the rice. She claimed cross contamination. 

If you travel to Europe and see "Kalbsnierenbraten" on the menu, order it. You may like it.


ANATOMICAL VIEW



HOW YOU BUY IT AT THE BUTCHER

CLAY POT RETAINS MOISTURE

THE BEST

4 comments:

Ken Broadhurst said...

I'm sure I would like it.

Nadege said...

Even though I haven't had kidneys in a long time, I could eat this roast too. Actually it looks really appetizing!

H.Peter said...

Good morning ken,

yes, you would. it's very nice.

H.Peter said...

Hello nadege,

I think it is harder to find good quality offal in the USA than it is here in Europe